Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Voter Registration in Idaho

    Voter Registration in Idaho

    Voting is the best way to get your voice heard during the next local, state, or federal election. Make sure you register to vote in time and get yourself to the polls.

    Voter Eligibility in Idaho

    You’re eligible to vote in Idaho if you:

    • Are at least 18 years old (or will be by the next Election Day).
    • Are a U.S. citizen.
    • Are an Idaho resident and have lived in the election district in which you’re voting for at least 30 days. These districts include:
      • Your taxing district.
      • City elections.
      • County elections.
      • State elections.

    You cannot vote if:

    • You’re currently incarcerated for a convicted crime.
    • You’re a felon who has not had your civil rights restored.
      • For voting purposes, your civil rights are automatically restored once you complete your sentence and any probation or parole period.

    Register to Vote in Idaho

    Register to vote in person or by mail using the Idaho Voter Registration Form (Form ERM-1). Simply complete the form and hand-deliver or mail it to the applicable county election office listed on the application.

    If you mail your form, the County Election office will mail you a card notifying you that they received your registration.

    Your registration application must be postmarked by the 25th day prior to election.

    Alternatively, you can register at the polls on Election Day if you bring proof of ID and ID residency.

    NOTE: If you mail your form AND you’re a first-time voter in Idaho, you must send either:

    • A copy of a current photo ID.
    • OR
    • A copy of a current utility bill, paycheck, bank statement , etc. showing your name and address.

    Check Your Registration Status

    Generally, you’ll receive notice immediately if you register in person, and through the mail if you register by mail.

    If you’re unsure whether you’re registered, you can check the Idaho Votes Election Information System.

    Military & Out-of-State Voter Registration

    Residents Out of State

    Out-of-state residents, such as students temporarily out of state to attend college, can register to vote by mail. See “Register to Vote in ID” above to learn how.

    Additionally, if you’ll be out of state during the election, consider voting by absentee ballot.

    Military and Overseas Residents

    Military personnel and their dependents, as well as overseas voters, can use the Federal Post Card Application (Form SF-76) from the Federal Voting Assistance Program.

    This form acts as both a voter registration and an absentee ballot.

    Mail your FPCA to your applicable county election office. You must meet the following deadlines:

    • If you’re registering and applying to vote absentee, the County Election Office, your FPCA must be postmarked by the 25th day before the election.
    • If you’re already registered to vote and only want to vote absentee, the County Elections Office must receive your FPCA by 5 p.m. on the 6th day before the election.
    • If you’re voting absentee, the County Elections Office must receive your ballot by 8 p.m. on Election Day.

    For more information about military and overseas voting and absentee ballots, visit the state’s Idaho Military and Overseas Citizens page.

    Deadline to Register to Vote in Idaho

    Unless you register at the polls, your in-person or by-mail registration must be received or postmarked at least 25 days before to the election.

    Voter Name or Address Changes

    You can update your name and/or address using the same Idaho Voter Registration Form (Form ERM-1).

    Just be sure to complete the sections asking for information about previous addresses and name changes.

    Duplicate ID Voter Registration Card

    Please contact your local county election office for information about replacing your lost or destroyed voter registration card.

    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.