Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Traffic Tickets in Idaho

    Instant Idaho Driving Record

    Check for tickets, violations, and confirm your drivers license status with a instant self-check driving record. Each record may include suspensions, points, classifications, vital data, endorsements, expiration and driving status.

    License Number: ID

    SUMMARY: Idaho Traffic Tickets

    When an officer issues you a ticket in Idaho, you’ll receive either a traffic infraction OR misdemeanor. The steps to resolve your ID traffic ticket vary by traffic offense. You may be able to pay your ticket fines online, by mail, by phone, by Drop Box, or in person. If you would like to fight your ticket, you’ll need to appear in court.

    Continue reading this page for more information on how to respond to an Idaho traffic ticket.

    Traffic Ticket Fines and Penalties

    In Idaho, what you’ll pay for your traffic ticket depends on the type of ticket you received:

    Your traffic ticket should show the full amount you must pay. If you have specific questions, you’ll need to contact the appropriate traffic court handling your case.

    Driving Record Points

    Once you’re convicted of an ID traffic violation, you will receive points on your driving record. If you accumulate too many points within 12 months, the Idaho Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) may suspend your driver’s license.

    • 8 to 11 points: You will be issued a warning letter.
    • 12 to 17 points: Your ID driver’s license will be suspended for 30 days.

    While you dismiss your traffic ticket by completing a defensive driving course, you may be able to remove 3 points from your driving record every 3 years. Visit our Defensive Driving in Idaho page for more information.

    Pay a Traffic Ticket in Idaho

    Depending on your violation and the court handling your ticket, you may be able to pay your traffic ticket fines:

    • Online.
    • By mail.
    • By phone.
    • By Drop Box.
    • In person.

    To find out specifically how to pay your ticket fines, you’ll need to check your ID traffic ticket or contact the appropriate court directly.

    Be sure to pay your Idaho traffic ticket by the due date as failure to do so can result in additional fines and penalties, including a driver’s license suspension.

    Fight an ID Traffic Ticket

    NOTE: If you fail to respond to your ticket or appear in court by the deadline, the ID DMV will suspend your driver’s license.

    To plead not guilty and fight your traffic ticket in Idaho, you must appear in court. You’ll need to refer to your traffic ticket or contact the ID court listed on your ticket for specific instructions.

    Depending on your offense, you may also want to get in touch with an ID traffic ticket attorney.

    Lost Your Traffic Ticket?

    To find your violation information after losing your ID traffic ticket, contact the court handling your ticket directly.

    You may need to provide some information, including your:

    • Full name.
    • Date of birth.
    • ID driver’s license number.
    • License plate number.

    Fines & Penalties for Commercial Drivers

    When you’re convicted of a traffic violation with a commercial driver’s license (CDL), you’re required to notify your employer within 30 days. This applies to any vehicle you operate; whether personal or commercial.

    Remember, as a commercial driver, you face harsher penalties if you commit a traffic violation. You will lose your Idaho CDL for 1 year if convicted of any of the following offenses:

    • Driving a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) with a blood alcohol content (BAC) of 0.04% or higher.
    • Operating a commercial motor vehicle under the influence of a controlled substance
    • Not remaining at the scene of an accident.
    • Negligent operation of a commercial motor vehicle which causes a fatality.
    • The distribution, dispensing or making of a controlled substance or any felony offense involving a commercial motor vehicle..
    • Refusing to submit to a BAC test.
    • Operating a commercial motor vehicle when you have been disqualified or, if you held a CDL, it has been revoked, suspended ot cancelled.

    Visit our CDL Suspensions in Idaho page to learn more.

    Idaho Traffic Tickets: FAQs

    Go to our Traffic Ticket FAQ page for more information about the following topics: