Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Title Transfers in Idaho

    Registering a car?

    It's a good time to check car insurance rates

    Find the lowest rate among top providers.

    What is a Title Transfer?

    No other vehicle document carries as much clout as your title. It serves as proof of vehicle ownership. When it comes time to transfer ownership you'll need the title, whether you're the buyer or seller, to legally close the deal. If you're the buyer, you'll then have 30 days to title the vehicle in your name. Otherwise, you'll be assessed a $20 late fee.

    Title transfers occur when:

    • Buying or selling
    • Gifting or donating a vehicle
    • Inheriting a vehicle
    • Transferring to family
    • Paying off a loan
    • Making a name change

    Selling a Vehicle

    Before taping a "For Sale" sign to your car's rear window, order a vehicle history report. It will ease the selling process by guiding you on an honest asking price and put you in the mind of potential buyers. Visit our section on vehicle history reports for more insight.

    After agreeing to a deal, steps include:

    1. Sign your name on the title.
    2. Include an odometer count if the vehicle is less than 10 years old.
    3. If there's room on the front of the title, enter the selling price. If not, you can create a Bill of Sale.
    4. Remove your license plates.

    Buying a Vehicle

    New Cars

    Title transfers will should be managed by the dealer.

    Used Cars

    Before deciding on a carrier, you can compare rates at our Insurance Center.

    And don't forget to protect yourself by studying your chosen car's vehicle history report, before buying. Another caution: Especially when dealing with private sellers, make sure the owner signs off and hands you the actual vehicle title.

    After purchasing, you can either title your car by mail or visiting your county assessor's office. Either way, you may need:

    1. The car's title signed over to you.
    2. A bill of sale, if there's no purchase price listed on the title.
    3. An odometer disclosure statement, if the vehicle is less than 10 years old.
    4. A Vehicle or Hull Identification Number Inspection Certification(Form ITD 3403).
    5. A completed Power of Attorney (Form ITD 3368) , if applying by mail.
    6. A completedApplication for Certificate of Idaho Title(Form ITD 3337).
    7. Payment for a 6% sales tax and a $14 title fee.

    If you opt for the mail option, you must send all fees and documents to your county assessor.

    Removing a Lien

    Though not mandatory, to remove a lien from your title after paying off your car loan, you may need to:

    1. Have your lender sign-off on your title.
    2. Bring the released title to your county assessor's office.
    3. Pay a $14 title fee.

    Transferring to Family

    You can transfer your vehicle to the following family members:

    • Brother or sister
    • Grandparent
    • Grandchild
    • Spouse
    • Parent
    • Child

    To complete the transfer, you may need to visit your county assessor's office and bring:

    1. The car's title signed over to you.
    2. A completed Sales Tax Exemption Certificate - Transfer Affidavit (Form ST-133).
    3. An odometer disclosure statement, if the vehicle is less than 10 years old.
    4. A Vehicle or Hull Identification Number Inspection Certification (Form ITD 3403).
    5. A completed Application for Certificate of Title(Form ITD 3337).
    6. Payment for a $14 title fee.

    Donating a Vehicle

    The choice is yours. You can donate to a wide variety of causes and charities. Many even offer free pick-up. Visit our car donation page for the full scoop.

    Inheriting a Vehicle

    As the heir, you may need to bring the following to your local county assessor's office:

    1. The signed-over title.
    2. An Affidavit of Inheritance (Form ITD 3414).
    3. The death certificate.
    4. Cash or check for a $14 title fee.

    If the registration has expired, you will need to re-register the vehicle. Otherwise, the county assessor's office will automatically implement registration changes.

    You will also need to have the vehicle insured. You can shop for rates at our Insurance Center.

    Making Name Corrections

    Changing a Name

    To change, add or delete a name from your title, you may need to:

    1. Visit your county assessor's office.
    2. Complete a Duplicate Idaho Title Application(Form ITD 3367).
    3. Depending on the situation, bring in your marriage certificate, divorce decree or court document.
    4. Have your driver's license.
    5. Pay a $14 title fee.

    Before applying for a name change on your title, consider obtaining a vital record if you have misplaced or lost your proof of name change (marriage certificate or court decree). For detailed information on this topic, visit our Changing Your Name section.