Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • RV & Motorhome Registration in Idaho

    The steps for Idaho recreational vehicle registration are quite similar to the process of registering cars. While registration is required by law for state residents and businesses to operate RVs on the open roads of Idaho, you won't get very far in the process without first obtaining a title. But just like with a car, you can apply for registration right after you turn in the required titling documents to your county assessor's motor vehicle office.

    You are considered an Idaho resident if you have made Idaho your home continuously for at least the last 90 days, and if you are not a full-time student who can claim residency in another state.

    If you have recently moved to Idaho, you must register and title your RV or motor home within 90 days of your arrival.

    Annual Fees

    Vehicle Registration Fees

    The total cost to register any motor vehicle in Idaho varies. The State of Idaho takes into consideration factors like age, type, and weight of the vehicle, inspection requirements, and even the county in which you live. Therefore, the fees listed below are approximate. Call (208) 334-8663 to verify exact fees when you are ready to title and register your motor home or recreational vehicle trailer.

    • Passenger cars and motor homes: $35 to $60 (vehicle age and your county of residence will cause this figure to vary).
    • Recreational vehicle trailers: $9.

    Ada County residents registering their motor homes or RV trailers must pay an additional $24 to $40 for the Ada County Highway District Fee.

    RV Fees

    Motor homes and RV trailers must also have recreational vehicle stickers. These cost $8.50 for the first $1,000 of market value, and $5 for each additional $1,000 of market value. Idaho prorates these stickers on a quarterly basis when you register your vehicle for the 1st time.

    RV Fees and the Valuation Factor

    The Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) uses a valuation factor set by the Idaho State Tax Commission in determining the market value and the RV fees associated with your RV or motor home. It's based on the type of motor home chassis. They do this to exclude the value of the motor home chassis from the recreational part of the vehicle.

    Here are the valuation factors:

    • Class A Motor home (MH): 60%
    • Class A (MH) front engine Diesel: 45%
    • Class A (MH) rear engine Diesel: 58%
    • Class B Van conversions: 25%
    • Class C Mini motor home (MMH): 50%

    To determine RV fees, multiply the overall value of your motor home or RV by these pre-determined valuation factors.

    Other Recreational Vehicles

    The owners of camp trailers, tent trailers, and fifth wheels have slightly different fees. For starters, you must pay an additional $4, and your RV fees are based on 100% of the market value of the vehicle. This means you will pay $8.50 for the first $1,000 of market value, and $5 for every additional $1,000 of market value.

    The owners of slide-in truck campers get a bit of a break. They only have to pay the recreational vehicle fees, and they don't have to obtain license plates. The same applies: $8.50 for the first $1,000 of market value, and $5 for every additional $1,000 of market value.

    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.