Replacing a Lost License in Idaho
Replacing a Lost Idaho Driver's License
Most of us know that the hassle of losing your wallet or purse along with your credit cards and identification is nothing short of a major annoyance. Thankfully, the Idaho Division of Motor Vehicles makes replacing your ID card or Idaho driver's license relatively easy. Even if you are out of state temporarily, you can get a replacement driver's license or ID as long as your lost or stolen one has not expired.
Read below for more information about replacing your Idaho driver's license. If you just need to update your driver's license, see our pages, Changing Your Address in Idaho or Changing Your Name in Idaho.
NOTE: If you need to apply for a duplicate Idaho CDL, please read our page about Replacing a Lost CDL.
If you are an Idaho resident and currently in the state, you must appear in person at your county driver's license office to obtain a duplicate Idaho driver's license. The Transportation Department should have your photo on file, but you will still need to bring identification documents to verify your identity.
You'll need to bring:
- A completed Internet Application for Replacement Idaho Driver's License or Identification Card (Form ITD 0020).
- A selection of identification documentation to verify your age and identity, such as:
- An original or certified copy of your birth certificate.
- Your valid U.S. passport or a foreign passport with a U.S. visa.
- Your military ID card.
- Citizenship or naturalization documents.
- Payment for the duplicate license fee of $15.
Be sure to cut up your lost ID card or license should you happen to find it once you have already replaced it. Or you can simply turn it in to the county office from which you applied for a replacement driver's license.
If you are an Idaho resident who is either traveling OR living temporarily out of state, AND not eligible for residency in another jurisdiction, you might have the option to apply for a replacement by mail, as long as your current driver's license or ID card is not expired. You'll need to:
- Download and complete the Internet Application for Replacement Idaho Driver's License or Identification Card (Form ITD 0020).
- The form must be completed and signed only by the person requesting the duplicate driver's license.
- Include your payment of $15, payable by check, money order, or credit card (include your MasterCard or VISA information on the application; do NOT send cash).
Return the form using the contact information provided on the application; these include:
You will be able to chose how soon you receive a hard copy of your driver's license by checking a delivery method on the form. You will be charged for expedited shipping.
NOTE: If any other state has revoked your driving privileges, the Idaho DMV will not replace your Idaho driver's license.
You will not be required to report your lost or stolen driver's license to the Idaho DMV or the police. However, if you believe your driver's license has been stolen and that someone might be using it to commit identity theft or fraud, consider notifying the authorities and filing a police report to protect your identity.
Your Idaho driver's license has many security features that make it difficult for anyone else to modify and use. Features include:
- A coating that contains UV ink.
- A ghost image of your ID photo.
- Micro-printed details on the front and back of the driver's license.
However, it's widely encouraged to file a police report. Being proactive could be the difference between protecting yourself and suffering the terrible effects of identity theft.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!
heroes have registered as organ donors.