Registration Renewal in Idaho
Renewing Your Registration in Idaho
You must renew your vehicle registration every year with the Idaho Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV). You may do so online or in person.
Idaho Vehicle Registration Renewal Notice
You will receive a notification postcard reminding you of your Idaho tag renewal.
If you do not receive a registration renewal notice or if you lose the notice, contact your local DMV office. You're still responsible for renewing your registration on time, even if you don't have your notice.
Renew Your ID Vehicle Registration
The Idaho DMV provides vehicle registration services:
- In person.
Online registration renewal is available to residents in many counties. The Idaho DMV provides a full list of the counties served by the online renewal service.
To complete your registration renewal online, go to the ITD Online Renewal Service. You will need:
- Your driver’s license or ID.
- Your Idaho registration renewal postcard.
- A valid debit or credit card (VISA, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover).
The online renewal service will walk you through the process of renewing. For additional detailed instructions, the ID DMV provides an instructive PDF with screenshots and tips.
Your registration, stickers, and license plates will be mailed to you within 2 business days.
NOTE: There will be a small online convenience fee charged in addition to the standard registration renewal fees for your vehicle.
You can renew your Idaho vehicle registration in person at an ID county assessor office.
To renew in person, you need:
- Your Idaho driver’s license or ID.
- Your DMV registration renewal postcard.
- Payment for renewal fees. (See “ID Vehicle Registration Renewal Fees” below.)
Contact your county DMV office to find out the forms of payment it accepts.
ID Vehicle Registration Renewal Fees
The basic Idaho registration renewal fees are based on the age of your vehicle:
- 1 to 2 years old: $48.
- 3 to 4 years old: $36.
- 5 to 6 years old: $36
- 7 years old or older: $24.
You may have to pay additional fees based on:
- Your vehicle type and use.
- Your county fees, including:
- County Administrative fees.
- Postage fees.
- County Highway District fees.
- County taxes.
Your exact vehicle registration fee will be provided on your renewal postcard.
Military Member Registration Renewal
If you are an Idaho resident in the military and stationed out of the state, you are still required to renew your Idaho vehicle registration.
You can renew your car registration online or by mail:
- Online registration: Take the steps outlined in the online section of “Renew Your ID Vehicle Registration” above.
- By mail: Contact your local Idaho DMV office.
Emissions Tests in Idaho
Emission tests are required ONLY for cars registered in:
- Canyon County.
- Within Kuna city limits.
Inspections are required every 2 years. You will receive notification by mail that your emissions test is due. If you want to check your due date, you can do so on the Idaho Vehicle Inspection Program (IDVIP) website. Simply click on “Test Due Date” and enter your information.
Contact your local testing station to find your fee. To do so, visit the IDVIP website and click on “Test Stations.”
Your vehicle registration will be revoked IF:
- You do not have your car tested in time.
- Your car fails its emissions test and is not repaired.
- You haven’t acquired your waiver, extension, or exemption within the time limit.
- To apply for a waiver, exemption, or extension, visit the IDVIP website and click on “Forms” to find the applicable request form.
Be sure to keep your Idaho registration up to date to avoid fines, late fees, or citations.
heroes have registered as organ donors.