Scooters, Mopeds, Etc... in Idaho
Compare Motorcycle Insurance Rates in 3 EASY STEPS
Enter Your Zip Code:
What Makes a Moped?
Your motorbike is a moped if it:
- Has pedal propulsion and is electric.
- Its top speed is 30 mph.
- Has two or three wheels.
- Has no more than a 50 cubic centimeter engine.
- Has a direct or automatic power drive system (no need for clutching or shifting).
The Idaho Transportation Department provides a simple graphic online to help you determine whether your motorbike is a motorcycle or moped.
Registering and Titling Mopeds
If you never plan to operate your moped on a city street, the County Assessor will give you "off-highway" stickers. Most people won't use this option.
If your bike can go over 30 mph and has an engine bigger than 500 ccs, you'll need to get a motorcycle endorsement.
If for some reason, you will never use your scooter on city streets or highways, you may ask for "off-road" stickers, and drive it only in designated off-road areas. Generally, this option is best suited for those with dirt bikes, but it is available.
A restricted use license plate is available for all off-highway vehicles (OHV). The plate, along with an OHV registration sticker, allows all OHVs to operate on Forest Service roads, unless otherwise posted.
Plates are valid for seven years. Cost: $3.
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- The REAL ID Act: Are You Ready for a National ID?
- New Study: Voice Texting and Traditional Texting Equally Distracting
- Bicycling While Boozing
- Federal Agency Stirring Around the Idea of Lowering BAC Limit to .05 Percent
- Pot Runs to Legalized Marijuana States Putting Cops on High Alert
- Behind the scenes: Iron Man & rental car insurance
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.