Lost Traffic Ticket in Idaho

SUMMARY: How to Find Lost Idaho Traffic Ticket Information

If you lost your ID traffic ticket and need specific ticket information, contact the appropriate traffic court directly. Be ready to provide some information, such as your name, birth date, Idaho driver's license, and license plate number.

The information below is relevant to moving violations that result in a traffic citation. These types of citations include but are not limited to a red light ticket, a speeding ticket, or even a reckless driving ticket. Some of the info may apply to a lost parking ticket, but check with your county court for further clarification.

Currently, Idaho doesn't offer the option to search for lost traffic tickets online. Drivers looking to find a ticket must contact the courts handling their Idaho traffic citations.

If you can't find your ID traffic ticket, the first step to locating your lost ticket is to remember where you received the citation for your moving violation. Even if you're not sure about whether it's the kind of traffic ticket handled by the magistrate or district court, as long as you know where you got it, you have a starting point.

Visit the Idaho County Court Website

Once you remember (or have an idea of) where you committed the traffic violation, you can visit the Idaho court website for that area, retrieve the court's contact information, and contact the court to have a clerk look up your traffic ticket information.

Understand that even if you contact the wrong court, you're still on the right path to finding lost your traffic ticket. For example, if you contact the district court in the county you know you were ticketed in and the clerk tells you there's no record of the citation, you can then try the magistrate court.

Likewise, if you contact the district court in the county you think you were ticketed in, you can then contact the magistrate court or the district court in the neighboring county.

NOTE: You want to retrieve your lost traffic ticket information as soon as possible, in order to prevent missing your deadline to respond; however, it can take officers a few days to report traffic violations to the courts. So, just because a certain court doesn't have your Idaho traffic ticket on file at the time you call, it doesn't necessarily mean your lost ticket is being handled by another court. Just to be safe, wait a day or two and contact the traffic court again.

Decide How You'll Plead To Your ID Ticket

You can plead to your ID traffic citation in one of two ways:

  • Guilty.
  • Not guilty.

Pleading "guilty" means admitting you committed the traffic violation or offense. You'll pay the Idaho traffic ticket fine, court costs, and any other related fees, and incur any applicable penalties (such as point accumulation and increased auto insurance rates).

Pleading "not guilty" means you contest the charges; you do not admit to committing the moving violation or offense and will fight the traffic citation in court. You'll gather testimonies, witnesses, and evidence (perhaps with the assistance of a traffic ticket lawyer) and make your case before a magistrate or district court judge.

Learn more about both options in our Paying Your ID Traffic Ticket and Fighting Your ID Traffic Ticket sections.

Pay Ticket
(Plead Guilty)

  • Pay the fine.
  • Accumulate points on your driving record (could put you at risk for license suspension.
  • Possibly pay higher auto insurance rates.
  • If eligible, take a defensive driving course for existing point reduction and possible insurance discount.

Learn more about
Paying Your Traffic Ticket »

Fight Ticket
(Plead Not Guilty)

  • Fight the ticket in court, perhaps with legal help from a traffic ticket attorney.
  • Potentially lose the option to plead to lesser charges with lesser penalties.
  • Receive no penalties (except for any applicable court costs/attorney fees) if found not guilty.
  • Appeal the guilty verdict (if applicable).

Learn more about
Fighting Your Traffic Ticket »

Related Content

Provide Feedback

Looking for Lost Traffic Ticket in Another State?