Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements in Idaho
Compare Motorcycle Insurance Rates in 3 EASY STEPS
Enter Your Zip Code:Page Overview
To legally operate your motorcycle you must provide proof of financial responsibility. Compliance, for most riders, involves purchasing a liability insurance policy.
Ways to Establish Financial Responsibility
The state gives you several choices:
- Take out self-insurance coverage. But this is only available to drivers/riders who have more than 25 vehicles registered under their name.
- Obtain a surety bond from an authorized in-state broker.
- Make a cash deposit with the State Treasurer. For information, call (208) 334-3200.
- Liability insurance (read below for more information).
Two-Wheeled Vehicles Defined
If you have any doubts whether your two-wheeled vehicle requires registration, and thus would necessitate insurance, call the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) at (208) 334-8649.
- Motorcycle―Every motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for riding purposes and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground. It must also meet all Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.
- Motor-Driven Cycle―This pertains to a cycle with a motor that produces five-brake horsepower or less and meets all Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. This requires titling and a motorcycle endorsement to operate.
―Has motorized or pedal propulsion that cannot exceed 30 miles per hour.
―If it contains an internal combustion engine, it cannot have a displacement of more than 50 cubic centimeters.
―Has a power drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting.
―It can also be powered by electrical energy with a motor that produces less than two gross brake horsepower.
NOTE: A moped does not require titling or a motorcycle endorsement to operate.
Here are the minimum liability insurance requirements:
- $25,000 for injury/death to one person
- $50,000 for injury/death to two or more persons
- $15,000 for damage to property
Don't settle for the first insurance company you contact. Shop around and compare quotes before making a decision. And keep in mind that you're not tied to just the minimum requirements. You always have the freedom to maximize your insurance protection with additional types of coverage.
How Coverage Affects Helmet Requirements
The state does not offer discounts for wearing a helmet while riding. Currently, only riders under 18 are required, by law, to ride with a helmet.
NOTE: You may, depending on your carrier, earn discounts or reduced rates for completing Idaho's Skills Training Advantage for Riders (STAR) safety program.
While riding you must carry one of the following:
- A certificate of self-insurance.
- A surety bond certificate or note.
- A cash deposit certificate or note
- An insurance identification card issued by your carrier.
No proof of insurance will cost you in the following ways:
- First Offense:
―A fine of $75.
―Provide proof of insurance for one year.
- Second Offense(within five years of the first offense):
―A fine of up to $1,000.
―Provide proof of insurance for three years.
―A possible jail sentence for up to six months.
- First Offense:
In This SectionOther Topics in This Section
Insurance Resource Center
- Auto Insurance Requirements
Idaho car insurance can be difficult to understand. Learn more about Idaho auto insurance requirements and options.
- Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements
ID financial responsibility requirements for your moped, atv, scooter or motorcycle. Protect your bike and your liability in Idaho by purchasing motorcycle insurance.
- Commercial Auto Insurance Minimum Requirements
Commercial vehicle insurance requirements in ID. Protect your rig or your fleet by maintaining proper financial responsibility on your commercial vehicles in Idaho.
- Penalties For Driving Without Insurance
Learn More On Penalties For Driving Without Insurance In Your State. No Insurance Violations Vary By State. Avoid Allowing You Car Insurance Policy To Lapse.
- Shop For Insurance Online
- Insurance State Requirements
Auto Insurance Center
- Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Top Reasons To Buy Insurance Coverage
- Auto Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Buying Car Insurance Basics
- Buying Car Insurance For Teens
- Teen Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Get Car Insurance Coverage With A Learners Permit
- First Time Drivers Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Save Money On Teen Car Insurance
- Common Driving Mistakes Teens Make
- Safe Driving Tips For Teenage Drivers
- Safe Cars For Teen Drivers
- How To Add Teens To Your Auto Insurance Policy
- Tips for Car Insurance Policy Holders
- Types Of Auto Insurance Coverage
- Buying Car Insurance For Seniors
- Senior Guide To Car Insurance
- Extended Insurance Coverage Guide
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Auto Insurance Coverage
- When To Buy Rental Car Insurance
- How To Cover Vandalism Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Auto Theft Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Windshield Repair Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Accidents With Wildlife Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Lost Wages Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Medical Expenses Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Pet Injuries Through Car Insurance
- How To Avoid Auto Insurance Non Renewal
Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Auto Insurance Requirements
- Commercial Auto Insurance State Requirements
- Federal Motor Carrier Insurance
- CDL Federal Requirements
- Commercial Insurance Filing
- State Commercial Insurance Filings
- Federal Truck Filings
- Intrastate Truck Filings
- Interstate Transportation Filings
- Certificate Of Insurance
- Uniform Carrier Registration Plan
- Types Of Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discounts
- Multiple Policy Discount For Commercial Vehicles
- Paid In Full Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discount
- Commercial Business Experience Discount
- Commercial Auto Insurance Quotes
- Commercial Auto Insurance Articles
- Who Needs Commercial Auto Insurance
- Types Of Commercial Vehicles To Insure
- How To Save Money On Commercial Auto Insurance
- What You Need For A Commercial Insurance Quote
- Types Of Business Vehicle Insurance
- How To Compare Commercial Insurance Quotes
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Commercial Auto Insurance Coverage
- Types Of Commercial Trailers To Insure
- Online Commercial Auto Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Types Of Motorcycle Coverage
- Accessory Coverage For Motorcycles
- Comprehensive Physical Damage Insurance For Motorcycles
- Collision Insurance For Motorcycles
- Bodily Injury Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Property Damage Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Medical Payments Insurance For Motorcycle Riders
- Personal Injury Protection Insurance For Motorcyclists
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Underinsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Motorcycle Roadside Assistance
- Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
- Motorcycle Insurance Rates
- Motorcycle Insurance Discounts
- Online Motorcycle Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Articles
- Motocross Insurance
- Dirt Bike Insurance
- Moped Insurance
- Trike Insurance
- Scooter Insurance
Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Auto Insurance Deductible
- Auto Insurance Limit
- Auto Insurance Premium
- Auto Insurance Quote
- Auto Insurance Rates
- Motor Vehicle Report
- Proof Of Financial Responsibility
- Auto Insurance Endorsement
- Auto Insurance Exclusion
- Auto Insurance Rating
- Auto Insurance Code
- Auto Insurance Discounts
- Auto Insurance Glossary
- How To Obtain Proof Of Insurance
- How To Change Auto Insurance Providers
- Factors That Affect Insurance Rates
- How To Cancel An Auto Insurance Policy
- When An Accident Happens
- Accident Loss
- Auto Accident Payment Recovery
- Total Loss
- Proof of Loss
- Actual Cash Value
- Lost Wages
- Salvage Vehicles
- How To File An Accident Report With The Police
- Evaluating Personal Injury In Auto Accidents
- First Steps Following A Personal Injury Auto Accident
- When To Seek Medical Attention For Personal Injury
- Protection Against Auto Insurance Fraud
- How To Handle Staged Car Accidents
- Types of Insurance Claims
- Bodily Injury Claims
- Property Damage Claims
- Windshield Claims
- Third Party Insurance Claims
- About Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Claims Affect Your Auto Insurance Policy
- When To Cover Personal Injury With Auto Insurance
- How Much Personal Injury Protection To Buy
- Supplementing Health Insurance With Personal Injury Protection
- Pain And Suffering In Personal Injury Claims
- Statute Of Limitations And Personal Injury
- Negligence And Determining Legal Liability
- Auto Insurance Claim Settlements
- Auto Insurance Settlements Involving Personal Injury
- Proving Fault In An Auto Accident Personal Injury Case
- Compensation For Auto Accident Personal Injury Claims
- Tips For Settling A Motor Vehicle Accident Claim
- Factors That Affect Compensation In Personal Injury Claims
- Legal Representation For Insurance Claims
- When To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney
- When To Hire A Lawyer
- Personal Injury Attorney Fees
- How To Choose Personal Injury Lawyers
- Benefits of Hiring A Personal Injury Attorney
- What To Submit To A Personal Injury Attorney
- Processing Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Handle Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Investigate Accident Claims
- How To Document Auto Accident Damage
- When To Report An Auto Accident To The DMV
- Tips On Documenting Personal Injury Expenses
- Paying Medical Bills Before Receiving Personal Injury Compensation
- Wage Loss In Personal Injury Auto Accident Cases
- How To File A Loss Of Wages Auto Claim
- Stages Of A Personal Injury Case
- Filing Car Insurance Claims