Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Identification Cards in Idaho

    Just Arrived

    If you have recently moved to the state, welcome! As part of getting settled, be sure you apply for an Idaho identification card ordriver's license within your first 90 days here, regardless of whether your out-of-state license or ID card has expired. The steps to get an ID card are fairly similar to those required when you are trying to obtain a state driver's license.

    Where Do I Apply?

    Your county driver's license office is the go-to place for Idaho ID cards.

    What Should I Bring?

    Proof of Idaho Residency

    If you want an Idaho ID card, you have to prove you live in the state. Do so by bringing with you a document that displays your name and address, such as a lease or rental agreement, utility bill, employment record, or school enrollment record.

    You cannot use your workplace, vacation home/residence, or a part-time residence, P.O. Box, mail drop, or general delivery as proof.

    Proof of Age and Identity

    You must present proof of your age and identity. The Idaho Transportation Department (IDT) provides a full list of accepted documents.

    If you can provide a valid, state-issued driver's license or ID card, you will not have to provide additional proofs of age and identity. However, if you do not, you'll need to provide your original birth certificate and accepted photo ID from the primary and secondary documents lists (see below). If you do not have those documents, your examiner will require a combination of documents from the primary and secondary lists.

    Primary documents list list your full, legal name and date of birth; the examiner must be able to contact the issuing agency to verify authenticity.

    Secondary documents help further confirm your identity. They must contain your name and enough information that directly supports at least some of the information presented on the primary document.

    Social Security Card

    In order to verify your Social Security number, no other document works better than the card issued by the Social Security Administration. If you don't have a Social Security number, don't fret. All you have to do in that case is obtain a letter from the SSA that states you do not have a number.

    Before you attempt to obtain this letter you must have an acceptable legal presence document (see below).

    Proof of Lawful Presence

    You must be lawfully present in the U.S. to receive a state ID card. Proofs of lawful presence include:

    • Certified U.S. Birth Certificate.
    • Certificate of Naturalization.
    • Permanent Resident Card.

    You can find a full list of accepted proofs on the ITD website.

    18 Years old and Younger: Proof of School Enrollment or School Completion

    You only have to provide acceptable proof of this if you are younger than 18 years old. You must show your enrollment and attendance in (or that you graduated from) a recognized high school or a program that equals such.

    Foreign Documents

    Having a document that is not written in English is not a major problem as long you bring along an acceptable document written in English or an acceptable translation.

    Renewing an ID Card

    All Idaho ID cards expire on your birthday, 4 years after the date of issue. However, once you reach the age of 21 years old, you may choose a renewal period of either 4 years or 8 years. You will receive a postcard notifying you that the renewal of your ID card is coming up.

    You may renew up to 25 months before your ID expires.

    The fee for renewal after 4 years is $10; the fee renewal after 8 years is $20.

    You may renew your ID card by U.S. Mail by simply returning the postcard sent to you.  You may also renew your ID card in person at your local Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Driver Services location.

    Replacing an ID Card

    You may replace an ID card at a county driver's license office by bringing an acceptable identification document.

    Here's the cost breakdown for acquiring a replacement ID:

    Younger than 18 years old ― $10.
    Ages 18 to 21 years old ― $10.
    Ages 21 years old and older ― $10 (Valid 4 years).
    Ages 21 years old and older ― $20 (Valid 8 years).

    Final Note

    While the information presented above is rather extensive, it does not cover every detail involved in obtaining an Idaho ID card. Therefore, you should call the Division of Motor Vehicles/Driver Services Section at (208) 334-8736 if you have any questions.

    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.