Boat Registration and Licenses in IdahoGet Free Boat & Watercraft Insurance Quotes
Enter Your Zip Code:Page Overview
- All vessels with mechanical propulsion.
What Not to Register
- Manually propelled vessels (such as canoes and kayaks).
- Float tubes.
- Vessels documented with the U.S. Coast Guard.
- Vessels currently registered in another state but being used on Idaho's waterways for a short time.
Your registration must be on your boat whenever the boat is in operation. To obtain proper registration:
- Find your proof of ownership.
- Have your registration fee ready.
- Go to any of the following locations to complete your registration:
- Motor vehicle offices.
- Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation (IDPR).
Registration fees vary depending on the length of the boat:
- Boats up to 12 ft: $30
- Boats over 12 ft: $30 plus $2 per every foot over 12 ft'
Boats owned by non-profit agencies carry a $2 registration fee. A vendor fee may be added to fees.
Renew by Mail
Return the renewal application along with your fee payment to the address listed on the form.
You can renew at either of the following agencies:
- Online at the Idaho Parks and Recreation website.
- Motor vehicle offices.
Bring in your renewal form and some sort of identification.
Replace Lost Registration
Obtain a duplicate registration by requesting them online. The fee varies, depending on whether you need the registration form, the decals, or both.
Although there aren't any statewide requirements requiring new boaters to obtain a license or be of a certain age before operating a vessel, some local governments are enacting their own rules regarding some of these issues.
Boating safety courses aren't initially mandated, but if you're a repeat offender of boating laws you'll have to pass a boater safety course to continue operating a boat.
Even if you're not required to take a safety course, doing so allows you to become a better educated boater, and may even reduce your insurance rates.
Both classroom and online courses are available; hours and fees vary with the provider.
See the Idaho Parks and Recreation Department (IDPR) boating page for more details.Other Topics in This Section
Organ Donation Survey
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks
Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?
Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.Update Your Organ
Donor Information ▸