Applying for a New License (Drivers 18+) in Idaho
Passing the written exam has never been easier, thanks to DMV Cheat Sheets. It’s like having the answers before you take the test.
- Computer, tablet, or mobile phone
- Just print and go to the DMV
- Driver's License, Motorcycle & CDL
- 100% Money Back Guarantee
Continue reading to learn how to apply for your Idaho driver's license from the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
NOTE: If you are younger than 18 years old, you will need to fulfill additional requirements which can be found on our Applying for a Teen License page.
If you've moved to Idaho from another state, you have 90 days from when you become an ID resident to have your out-of-state driver's license converted.
Follow the instructions below to learn how to obtain an Idaho driver’s license.
NOTE: You may need to surrender your out-of-state driver's license.
If you have a valid driver's license from Germany, Korea, or Taiwan, your driving test will be waived as long as you surrender your card.
The Idaho DMV offers various types of driver's licenses depending on your age and vehicle you wish to drive:
To apply for an Idaho driver's license, visit your local DMV office with:
- Proof of your Idaho residence, such as your:
- Rental agreement.
- Utility bill.
- Bank statement.
- Proof of your age and identity, such as your:
- Birth certificate.
- Citizenship certificate.
- Proof of your lawful presence in the U.S., such as your:
- Foreign passport with valid visa and I-94 print out.
- Permanent resident card.
- Citizenship certificate.
- Proof of your name change (if applicable), such as your:
- Certified marriage certificate.
- Court order.
- Certified divorce documents.
- Payment for the required fees.
For a complete list of required and accepted documents, please visit the Idaho DMV website.
You will need to:
- Submit the above items.
- Provide your Social Security number (SSN).
- Pass the vision screening.
- Pass the written knowledge test.
- Pass the road skills test.
- Have your photo taken.
The fee and length of validity of your ID driver's license will depend on your age:
- 18 to 21 years old: $25 (valid for 3 years).
- 20 years old: $15 (valid for 1 year).
- 21 years old and older: $30 (valid for 4 years).
- 21 to 62 years old: $55 (valid for 8 years).
You will also need to pay the following fees to take your DMV tests:
- Written knowledge: $3.
- Driving test: $17.50 paid to tester, $6.50 paid to county.
You will need to pass both a written knowledge and driving test before the ID DMV will issue you a driver's license.
Written Knowledge Test
Your written knowledge exam will consist of 40 questions about traffic laws, safe driving practices, and other related information found in the ID Driver Manual. To pass the test, you will only be allowed to get 6 questions wrong.
If you fail the exam, you will need to wait 3 days to take it again. You will need to pay the $3 fee again.
You will need to make an appointment for your driving test. When you apply for your driver's license, ask the Idaho DMV for a list of certified testers near you.
You will need to bring the following with you to your exam:
- A working registered vehicle.
- Proof of auto insurance.
Your road test will last about 30 minutes. During this time you will be required to demonstrate your ability to safely drive your vehicle and obey traffic laws. You will also be tested on your knowledge of the vehicle's equipment.
Some maneuvers you may be asked to perform include:
- Changing lanes.
- Driving on a freeway.
- Starting and stopping.
You will fail your driving test if you:
- Make more than 15 errors.
- Are involved in a collision (or near collision).
- Drive dangerously.
- Violate any traffic laws.
If you fail, you must wait 3 days before re-taking the test. You will need to pay the $17.50 fee and the $6.50 fee, every time you re-test.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!
heroes have registered as organ donors.