Traffic Tickets in Iowa
Continue reading this page to learn what to do after receiving a traffic ticket in Iowa.
Traffic Ticket Fines and Penalties
Traffic ticket fines in Iowa will vary by violation. To determine the exact amount that is due, you can:
- Refer to your IA traffic ticket.
- Look up your ticket fines using the Iowa Courts Online Payment Search website.
- Contact the traffic court in the county where you received your ticket.
NOTE: Some serious violations may result in an automatic driver’s license suspension.
Driving Record Points
When you are convicted of a traffic violation, points will be added to your Iowa driving record.
In addition, the Iowa Office of Driver Services (ODS) will suspend your driver’s license if you're:
- A habitual traffic offender (i.e., commit 3 violations within 12 months).
- Convicted of a serious violation (such as speeding 25 MPH over the speed limit).
In some cases, you may be required to complete a driver improvement course. Unfortunately, the course will not clear the traffic ticket off your driving record.
Pay a Traffic Ticket in Iowa
Your payment options for an Iowa traffic ticket will vary by county court. Check your traffic ticket or contact the appropriate IA traffic court for specific instructions. If you've lost your ticket, see below.
You may be able to pay your IA traffic ticket:
- By mail.
- By phone.
- In person.
NOTE: If you fail to pay your traffic ticket within 60 days of the deadline, your IA driver's license may be suspended until you've paid the full amount due.
Fight an IA Traffic Ticket
To find out exactly how to fight your traffic violation, check your traffic ticket or contact the appropriate Iowa traffic court. Depending on the county where you received your ticket, you may be able to submit your “not guilty" plea in person or by mail.
You may want to hire a traffic ticket attorney prior to your hearing.
Lost Your Traffic Ticket?
If you've lost your Iowa traffic ticket, you can take action in the following ways:
- Check the Iowa Courts Online Search website.
- Contact the traffic court in the Iowa county where you received the ticket.
If you would like to order a copy of your traffic ticket, you'll need to mail a written request and a check or money order (payable to “Treasurer State of Iowa") for $0.50 to:
Office of Driver Services
Iowa Department of Transportation
P.O. Box 9204
Des Moines, IA 50306
For complete instructions, visit the Iowa Department of Transportation (DOT) website.
Fines & Penalties for Commercial Drivers
When you're convicted of a traffic ticket in Iowa as a commercial driver, you must notify your employer within 30 days. This rule applies whether you were driving a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) or a personal vehicle.
For the following major offenses, you'll lose your commercial driver's license (CDL) for 1 year.
- Refusing to submit to a sobriety test.
- Driving a CMV while your license is cancelled, suspended, revoked or you have been disqualified from having a CDL.
- Driving a CMV with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.04% or higher.
- Being under the influence of a controlled substance while operating a CMV.
- Using a CMV while committing a felony offense (this also include making, disturbing and/or dispensing a controlled substance.)
- Leaving the scene of an accident involving your CMV.
- Negligent use of a CMV that results in a fatality.
For more information, visit our CDL Suspension page.
Iowa Traffic Tickets: FAQs
View our Traffic Ticket FAQ page to learn about the following topics and more: