Replacing a Lost CDL in Iowa

Getting a Duplicate CDL

In State

To obtain a duplicate copy of your CDL, you'll need to visit your nearest Iowa Department of Transportation driver's license station. Generally, driver's license stations are open during regular weekday business hours. No appointment is necessary to replace your lost CDL. At this time, there is no way to replace a lost license by mail or via an online request.

Before you can be issued a duplicate copy of your CDL, you must provide proof of your identity and verification of your Social Security number. Several forms of identification are acceptable.

Out of State

If you're out of state when you lose your license, you may apply for a temporary license by mail.

Write a letter of request, asking for a temporary license and explaining what happened. Include:

  • Your name
  • Your CDL number
  • Your Social Security Number
  • Your date of birth
  • Out of state address or FAX number

Send or FAX this to:

  • Office of Driver Services
  • Iowa Department of Transportation
  • P.O. Box 9204
  • Des Moines, IA 50306
  • Telephone: (515) 244-8725
  • FAX: (515) 237-1837

Because there's so much sensitive identifying information in the letter, it's best to send it certified so you know who was responsible for handling it. You can also call the office ahead of time and get the name of a person to address it to. If you FAX it, call to make sure it arrived and is being processed appropriately.


The fee to replace a lost driver's license is $10. If your license photograph was digitally stored, the photo may be used as partial proof of your identity. Contact your nearest driver's license station for additional information.

There's no charge for replacement of a broken or damaged license, but you will need to show it to the office.

Preventing Identity Theft

Unlike many other states, Iowa does not require you to file a police report if you have lost your commercial driver's license. However, you are encouraged to report the incident on your own due to the risk of identity theft.

In addition, the Iowa Department of Transportation has a special investigative unit responsible for assisting drivers who have been victims of identity theft relating to a stolen license. To learn more about preventing identity theft, visit the website of the Office of Motor Vehicle Enforcement.

Replace Right Away

Depending upon your previous driving record, operating a commercial vehicle without a valid commercial driver's license (CDL) in your possession may result in the suspension of your driving privileges for up to 120 days. Therefore, it's important to replace a lost license as soon as possible.

Related Content

Provide Feedback

Looking for Replacing a Lost CDL in Another State?