Online Services in Iowa
Heading to your local Department of Transportation (DOT) office? Scroll down to see if you can save time by conducting your business online.
Online Vehicle Services in Iowa
You can handle most of your vehicle-related needs by using the online services provided by the Iowa Department of Transportation (DOT). We (DMV.org) also connect you to trusted, private vendors who provide time-saving vehicle services, sometimes not offered by the DOT.
Iowa DOT Vehicle Services
Unless indicated, the Iowa DOT's online services can help you complete tasks like:
- Ordering vanity license plates.
- Calculating registration fees.
- Requesting commercial vehicle permits.
- Renewing your registration through your local county treasurer's office.
Vehicle Services Through Private Companies
A third-party company can also help you with the following vehicle-related tasks:
- Choosing car insurance.
- After comparing all of your best insurance options, you'll be able to choose a plan with confidence.
- Finding motorcycle insurance.
- Protect your bike and wallet by comparing the prices and plans of all the insurance providers in your area.
- Vehicle history report (VHR).
- Extend your vehicle's warranty.
- When your car's original warranty expires, consider investing in an extended warranty for added peace of mind.
IA Record & License Services
Thanks to the internet, you can now request court records, license renewals, and so much more from the comfort of your home. Depending on the service and how soon you need results, you may choose to either go through the state OR through a private vendor.
IA DOT License and Record Assistance
With few exceptions (as indicated), the Iowa Department of Transportation's online services can help you with a majority of your license and record requests, such as:
- Driver's license and I.D. card renewal.
- Official address change.
- Pay license reinstatement fees.
- Request personal driving records.
- Search Iowa vital records (through the IA Department of Public Health).
- Find court records (through the Iowa Courts).
Third Party Online Services
Private vendors can also assist you with certain IA license and record requests for:
- Official name change.
- With just a single submission, a private company can ensure your name's officially changed across multiple government agency databases.
- Driving records.
- For speedy access to personal and professional driving records, utilize a third-party vendor's online services.
- Background checks.
- Protect yourself and your company by running quick background checks on the people you're thinking about hiring.
- Court records.
- Going through a private vendor for information on past court cases is much less of a hassle than going directly through the state.
- Vital records.
- A third party is your one-stop-shop for requesting all kinds of vital records (birth, death, marriage, divorce).
- International Driver Permit (IDP).
- Before you drive in another country, you should have an IDP so authorities abroad can understand your driving credentials.
- Rushed passport.
- A private company can make sure you get your passport in time for any spur-of-the-moment travel plans.
Online Driver Education in Iowa
When you're preparing to get your license, finding quality Driver's Ed services is crucial. Check out some following driver education products that are sure to give you the upper hand when it comes to acing those license tests:
- Boater education classes.
- Driver's license and permit:
- Online driver's license prep courses for:
- Cheat sheets and practice tests for:
Online IA Traffic Ticket & Legal Resources
Sorting out traffic tickets and other legal issues is already stressful enough; make your life a little easier by using the online services provided by the state and third-party companies.
You can pay your traffic tickets online using the Iowa Courts' online services.
With the help of a third party, you can:
- Find a DUI lawyer.
- For the best results in court, make sure you have a knowledgeable and affordable lawyer at your side when facing DUI chargers.
- Protect your identity.
- Enrolling in a comprehensive identity protection program is one of the smartest and most valuable investments you can make.
Miscellaneous Online Services in IA
Haven't found exactly what you need? Don't fret! Instead, check out the rest of the online services offered by the Iowa Department of Transportation:
- Build a checklist of required documents for license application.
- Find driver's license stations.
- Register to vote.
- Schedule a salvage vehicle evaluation.
- International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) portal.
- International Registration Plan (IRP) portal.
- Search road restrictions (for commercial vehicles).