Dealer Forms in Iowa
To apply for a motor vehicle dealer's license to sell at retail in Iowa, you must start by completing aApplication for a Motor Vehicle or Travel Trailer Dealer License (Form 417008). You will also need a Dealer Bond (Form 417057).
Forms can be viewed, saved, and printed using the free Adobe Reader software.
The application for a motor vehicle dealer's license is based on the regulations outlined in Iowa's vehicle code. You'll be asked to provide information on the scope of your business activities, financial liability coverage, compliance with zoning laws, and franchise agreements.
Completed motor vehicle dealer's license forms should be mailed to the following address:
- Office of Vehicle and Motor Carrier Services
- Iowa Department of Transportation
- P.O. Box 10382
- Des Moines, IA 50306
In addition to completing your application paperwork, you'll be required to file a $50,000 surety bond with the department before you can receive a motor vehicle dealer's license. A licensed Iowa bonding company or your current insurance agent can provide assistance in preparing this documentation.
A directory of forms for vehicle services, some of which are useful or required for auto dealers, is available on the Iowa Department of Transportation (DOT) website. Examples of forms you can find here include:
- Odometer Disclosure Statement (Form 411077). The odometer reading must be disclosed in writing every time a vehicle is sold, whether by a dealer or a private party.
- Damage Disclosure Statement (Form 411108). If this is required, the dealer must keep a copy on file for 5 years.
- Application for Certificate of Title and/or Registration. (Form 411179). The dealer usually handles this paperwork for the customer.
- Dealer Plate Order Form (Form 417070). You may use this form to order additional dealer license plates for cars you are selling so that you and your customers may drive the vehicles.
- Application for Leasing License (Form 417034). For dealers who lease vehicles.
- Application for Authorized Vehicle Recycler License (Form 411117). For dismantlers, salvagers, rebuilders, and those who sell used parts.
- Application for Motor Vehicle or Travel Trailer Dealer License (Form 417008). Fill this out to become licensed to sell RVs or travel trailers (this is the same form you use to apply for a regular dealer license).
- Application for Dealer's Extension Lot License (Form 417072). Complete this form if you are adding a display lot to your business that does not adjoin your existing lot but is in the same city.
"Registration applied for" cards may be obtained free from any county treasurer's office. These cards, when affixed to the rear of a newly purchased vehicle, allow the owner to drive it legally for 45 days while the new registration and tags are being processed.