- Location: Iowa
Dealer Forms in IowaCompare Car Insurance Rates in 3 Steps
1. Enter Your Zip:
To apply for a motor vehicle dealer's license to sell at retail in Iowa, you must complete the following forms:
These forms can be view, saved, and printed using the free Adobe Reader software.
The application for a motor vehicle dealer's license is based on the regulations outlined in Chapter 322 of Iowa's vehicle code. You'll be asked to provide information on the scope of your business activities, financial liability coverage, compliance with zoning laws, and franchise agreements.
Completed motor vehicle dealer's license forms should be mailed to the following address:
- Iowa Department of Transportation
- Office of Vehicle Services
- Customer Service Section
- Park Fair Mall
- P.O. Box 9278
- Des Moines, IA 50306-9278
In addition to completing your application paperwork, you'll be required to file a $50,000 surety bond with the department before you can receive a motor vehicle dealer's license. A licensed Iowa bonding company or your current insurance agent can provide assistance in preparing this documentation. You can also download a Motor Vehicle Dealer Sample Surety Bond to get a sense of what is required.
A directory of forms for vehicle services, some of which are useful or required for auto dealers, is available on the Iowa Department of Transportation website. Examples of forms you can find here include:
- Odometer Disclosure Statement. The odometer reading must be disclosed in writing every time a vehicle is sold, whether by a dealer or a private party.
- Damage Disclosure Statement. If this is required, the dealer must keep a copy for five years.
- Application for Certificate of Title and/or Registration. The dealer usually handles this paperwork for the customer.
- Dealer Plate Order Form. You may use this form to order additional dealer license plates for cars you are selling so that you and your customers may drive the vehicles.
- Application for Leasing License. For dealers who lease vehicles.
- Application for Recycler's License. For dismantlers, salvagers, rebuilders, and those who sell used parts.
- Application for Motor Vehicle, Travel Trailer, or Mobile Home Dealer's License. Fill this out to become licensed to sell RVs or travel trailers (this is the same form you use to apply for a regular dealer license).
- Application for Dealer's Lot Extension License. Complete this form if you are adding a display lot to your business that does not adjoin your existing lot but is in the same city.
"Registration applied for" cards may be obtained free from any county treasurer's office. These cards, when affixed to the rear of a newly purchased vehicle, allow the owner to drive it legally for 45 days while the new registration and tags are being processed.