- Location: Iowa
Boat Registration and Licenses in IowaGet Free Boat & Watercraft Insurance Quotes
Enter Your Zip Code:Page Overview
If you have purchased a new boat or are a new boat-owning resident of Iowa, you will have to register your vessel. Here's how:
- Complete the necessary application.
- Provide the necessary fees.
- Go to your local county recorder's office (if you're a non-resident, register at the county where you will most use your vessel).
- You'll be given a registration card and decals. Keep the registration card on board whenever you're operating the vessel.
Boat registration fees will vary depending on when you register and the size of your vessel.
Registrations are valid for 3 years and expire on April 30 of the renewal year. When its time to renew, simply:
- Bring your renewal fee.
- Provide your boat number or current registration card.
- Head over to your county recorder's office.
Replace Lost Registration
To operate a personal watercraft or a motorboat, with more than a 10 horsepower engine, you'll need to successfully complete an approved safety education class if you are between the ages of 12 and 17. Otherwise, the teenager will require qualified adult supervision.
After completing the course, you'll be given a watercraft safety certificate. You must be able to show the certificate whenever requested by Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR) officers.
If you're interested in taking a safety course, it must be approved by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA), or else Iowa will not recognize it.
Visit the DNR Boater Education page for sign-up information, or call (515) 281-5918.
Some third-party providers also offer approved online safety courses, too.
Even if you're not required to complete a safety education class, these courses offer valuable information and make you a better boater, while potentially reducing the cost of your insurance.Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks