Lost Traffic Ticket in Hawaii

SUMMARY: How to Find Lost Hawaii Traffic Ticket Information

If you recently lost your HI traffic ticket, contact the district court in which you received your citation, call the state Traffic Violations Bureau or search online (must have your citation number) to find information about your fine and payment deadline date.

The information you'll see below relates to a traffic citation as a result of a moving violation. These types of tickets include red light tickets and speeding tickets. Some of the information may apply to a lost parking ticket, but check with your county for more information.

To date, there's no online option to search for a lost ticket in Hawaii, unless you happened to write down your traffic citation number. If you did―and you want to plead "guilty" and pay your HI traffic ticket online―you can use the eTraffic Hawaii system.

Just choose the option to pay your Hawaii traffic ticket, enter your citation number, and follow the instructions.

NOTE: First, be sure to read the list of eligibility requirements for paying your HI traffic ticket online.

Contact the Hawaii Traffic Violations Bureau

The HI Traffic Violations Bureau (TVB) in your district can provide you with everything you need to know about your traffic violation―all the representative needs is your name and Hawaii driver's license number. For some, this is the quickest route to finding their lost traffic tickets. If you can't find your citation, you can just call the Traffic Violations Bureau at (808) 538-5500 and ask them to locate your lost ticket.

Determine Where You Got Your Traffic Ticket

HI traffic violations are handled by the district court covering the area where you received your traffic violation. If you can remember where you were ticketed, you can find the district court of that area and contact a clerk to inquire about retrieving lost traffic ticket information.

Visit the Hawaii County Court Website

Once you know the court handling your HI traffic citation, you can visit the website for contact information and/or payment or plea options (you may need to make a phone call for these).

Decide How You'll Plead To Your HI Ticket

In Hawaii, you can plead:

  • "Guilty." If you plead "guilty," it means you're admitting you're responsible for the traffic infraction or crime, and either must pay your HI ticket fine outright or appear in court (when required).
  • "Not guilty." Drivers who plead "not guilty" typically contest their Hawaii traffic tickets in court or by mail.
  • "Admit Litigated." This means you know and admit you're guilty, but feel you have a justifiable reason for committing the traffic offense and would like to plead that in court.

Our Paying Your HI Traffic Ticket and Fighting Your HI Traffic Ticket sections provide more information about each of these options.

Pay Ticket
(Plead Guilty)

  • Pay the fine.
  • Go to court (if your citation indicates).
  • Have the violation show up on your traffic abstract.
  • Potential for higher auto insurance rates.

Learn more about
Paying Your Traffic Ticket »

Fight Ticket
(Plead Not Guilty or Admit Litigated)

  • Contest the violation during a hearing or in writing.
  • Admit guilt but explain your actions (if you choose this option).
  • Defend yourself or hire an attorney to represent you.
  • Potentially lose plea bargain options.
  • Pay only any applicable court cost and attorney fees if found not guilty.
  • Appeal the guilty verdict (if applicable).

Learn more about
Fighting Your Traffic Ticket »

Related Content

Provide Feedback

Looking for Lost Traffic Ticket in Another State?