Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Drivers with Disabilities in Hawaii

    Compare Car Insurance Quotes in 3 Steps

    1. Enter Your Zip:

    Obtaining a disabled placard that allows you parking privileges in those convenient handicap spaces is a relatively easy process in Hawaii. But you will need to meet some basic requirements to be able to hang one from the rearview mirror of your vehicle (or the vehicle of the person driving you around town).

    Generally, if you can fit into one of the following categories, you will qualify:

    • Cannot walk more than 200 feet without pausing to rest.
    • Have a heart condition that affects your ability to walk far.
    • Need mechanical assistance to walk.
    • Have a respiratory illness.
    • Need to carry portable oxygen.

    Application Procedures

    The fines for parking in a reserved handicap parking space without a disabled placard or license plate are pretty steep. And abusing the placards or license plates by parking in such a space without a disabled person either driving or in the car will also net you a citation (and bad karma).

    First-time applicants for a handicap placard or license plates will need to make an appearance in person at one of the specific county offices located on each island. The same goes for those seeking a replacement placard due to it being lost, stolen, or damaged.

    Before you visit a county office, a physician licensed to practice in the state of Hawaii must substantiate your impairment. This involves a trip to the doctor with the Person With a Disability Parking Permit Application (Form PA 2).

    If you are incapacitated to the point where you cannot appear in person at a county office to apply, the doctor will need to also note this.

    Once the doctor visit is squared away, you will be just a county office visit away from having the placards. See below for a list of offices on each island. Make sure to bring along a completed application and proper proof of identity.

    Note: If you opt to also apply for disabled license plates (available to those with permanent disabilities only), you will need to make sure that your vehicle information is detailed on the application form.

    Acceptable Identification

    All documents must be current.

    • Driver's license
    • State ID card
    • Passport
    • Military ID card
    • Student ID card
    • Senior citizen ID card
    • ID of parent or guardian (if a minor)
    • Social Security card
    • Medicare card
    • Appropriate notarized affidavit


    Many disabled folks worry that mainland states will not accept their Hawaii disability parking placard. However, a Hawaii placard is valid in other states as long as it is current and the disabled person is driving or is a passenger in the vehicle. Just make sure to bring along the actual placard and not a photocopy, and you are set. Also, Hawaii honors out-of-state placards that are current.

    True or False

    Doctors don’t work with the same urgency to save your life if they know you’re an organ donor.

    True False


    Every doctor's first priority is to save your life regardless of your organ donation status.

    More Organ Donor Myths ▸ Become an Organ Donor ▸