Boat Registration and Licenses in Hawaii
Get Free Boat & Watercraft Insurance Quotes
Enter Your Zip Code:
- All commercial and recreational vessels, unless exempted.
- Documented vessels.
- Lifeboats used strictly for that purpose.
- Recreational vessels that are manually propelled.
- Recreational vessels eight feet long or less that are propelled only by sail.
- Motorboats used only for racing.
- Vessels owned by the U.S. government.
To obtain your registration certificate, boat decal, and certificate of number, you need to:
- Locate your proof of boat ownership.
- Have your personal identification (driver's license or Hawaii ID card).
- Figure out the necessary registration payment.
- Go to any Division of Boating and Ocean Recreation (DOBOR) office.
- While at the office, you'll be asked to complete the boat registration form.
- You'll receive a registration certificate, boat decal, and certificate of number. The DOBOR provides information on how to properly display your registration number.
Registration fees vary according to the vessel's length, as follows:
- Vessels less than 20': $18
- Vessels 20' or longer: $30
Registrations are valid for one year. Before your expiration date, you should receive a renewal card reminder in the mail.
Renew in Person
Bring your renewal card and payment to your local DOBOR office.
- Visit the renewal site.
- Enter your name or registration number.
- Then follow the instructions given to complete the renewal process.
Replace Lost Registration
You have two options for replacing your lost registration:
- Go to a DOBOR office and pay the $5 fee to receive a duplicate registration.
- Visit the renewal site and follow the instructions provided.
Hawaii doesn't issue boater licenses, although taking a boater safety course is encouraged.
Even though you're not required to take these courses to operate a vessel, doing so allows you to become a better educated boater, while possibly reducing your insurance costs in the process.
Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- How to Replace Lost Boat or RV Registration
- Which Vessels Require Boat Registration?
- 7 Boating Safety Tips for Staying Safe on the Water
- Boat Safety Course: Learn Boating Basics
- Boat License Requirements: Learn How to Apply for Your Boat License
- Boat Registration Requirements: How to Register Your Vessel