Traffic Ticket Attorneys in Georgia
Since most people just pay the fine after receiving a traffic ticket, you may wonder why you should hire a traffic ticket lawyer. To better understand the importance of a traffic ticket attorney, it helps to get to know the consequences of traffic ticket convictions in Georgia. If you do decide to hire a lawyer, you can use our tips for hiring a traffic ticket attorney.
NOTE: The content of this website is intended solely for informational purposes. It is not a source of legal advice and should not be used as such.
If you are like most people, you probably handle a traffic ticket by simply paying the fine. However, you may not realize that by paying the fine you are actually pleading guilty for a traffic violation and accepting conviction of that violation. Keeping this in mind and understanding that traffic tickets can be expensive, you may want to consider fighting your traffic ticket.
In Georgia, traffic tickets are typically handled by the county court system. The procedures and fines associated with your ticket will vary depending on the county the ticket was written. Experienced traffic ticket lawyers are available throughout the state and can help you in your fight.
Paying your ticket may seem like the easiest thing to do, leaving you to wonder why you should even consider hiring a lawyer to help with your traffic ticket.
Keep in mind that a traffic ticket lawyer can represent you in court and help you:
- Avoid large fines.
- Avoid a driver's license suspension.
- Reduce the charges against you.
- Keep points off your driving record.
- Maintain your car insurance rates.
Understanding the consequences of traffic violation convictions can help you better understand the benefits of hiring a Georgia traffic ticket attorney.
In Georgia, a traffic violation conviction can lead to:
- Points on your driving record.
- Suspension of your driver's license.
- Increase in car insurance rates.
Georgia Point System
Georgia uses a point system to rate drivers within the state. Each traffic violation conviction will add a certain amount of points to your record. Serious traffic violations will come with a higher point value than less severe violations.
If you are penalized with 15 points within 24 months, your driver's license will be suspended.
The following are some common traffic violations and their corresponding point values:
- Failure to obey traffic-control device (Red light violation): 3 points.
- Speeding 15 to 18 MPH over the speed limit: 2 points.
- Reckless driving: 4 points.
- Texting while driving: 1 point.
DMV Point System in Georgia page for more information.
Driver's License Suspension
Some traffic violation convictions come with a mandatory suspension of your driver's license.
These violations include:
- Hit and run.
- Operating a vehicle with a suspended, revoked, or canceled license.
If you are accused of any of these violations, a traffic ticket lawyer can assist with keeping your driver's license from being suspended.
Car Insurance Rates
In addition to the fines you will have to pay as part of a traffic violation conviction, you can expect to see an increase in your car insurance premium.
Just one traffic ticket violation can increase your annual car insurance rates by hundreds of dollars. Also keep in mind that several violations can result in car insurance companies rating you as a high-risk driver, making it more difficult for you to find insurance coverage.
Your traffic ticket lawyer will fight to save you from a conviction and keep your car insurance rates low.
You can see why you might want to consider hiring a lawyer for your Georgia traffic ticket. If you decide to get one, make sure you find the right one. See our tips below for getting the right attorney for you.
Choosing the right lawyer is a big decision, so make sure you choose someone who is going to give you the best chance to win your case.
When searching for a traffic ticket attorney:
- Shop around – The best way to find the right attorney for you at the right price is by comparison shopping. Some traffic attorneys offer free consultations where they review a potential client's case and give a free quote.
- Stay local – Having an attorney that knows the area where your ticket was written, and the court where your hearing will be held, can significantly increase your chances of success.
- Value trust – Having an attorney represent you in court means putting a lot of trust in that person. Make sure you have a high comfort level with your attorney to ensure the process goes as smoothly as possible.
Doing your research and asking questions ahead of time can ensure you find a traffic ticket attorney you can trust and who will increase your chances of success in fighting your ticket.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!