Title Transfers in Georgia

Complete Your Title Paperwork Online

Our step by step instructions make the process easy to use, and complete. Be prepared before your trip to the MVD.
How to Complete a Georgia Vehicle Title Transfer
  • Submit the title signed over by the seller and the Motor Vehicle Title/Tag Application (Form MV-1).
  • Make sure the car passes an emissions inspection, if required by your county.
  • Pay the $18 title transfer fee plus registration fees and taxes.
  • Continue reading for more information about GA title transfers.

Buying or Selling a Vehicle

You must complete a vehicle title transfer with the Georgia Department of Revenue (DOR) when you buy or sell a vehicle.

Buying a Car

Buying from a Dealer

When you buy a vehicle from a car dealership, they'll handle the auto title transfer and car registration for you.

Ask your dealer about the paperwork and fees they'll require to process your auto title transfer and vehicle registration.

Buying from a Private Seller

When you receive the title of a vehicle you're buying from the seller, you and any other joint buyers must sign in the appropriate section on the title to acknowledge the odometer reading UNLESS:

  • The vehicle is exempt from odometer disclosure.
  • The seller has not filled in the required information on the title.


  • DO NOT sign if the title is blank. It is against the law for the seller to give you a blank title and for you to accept it.
  • Be sure any liens listed on the title have an accompanying lien release. Otherwise, you will be responsible for paying the liens once you own the vehicle.
Do Your Research Before You Buy

Get a Vehicle History Report to learn everything you need to know about a vehicle's past, including accidents and damage.

To complete a car title transfer and register your vehicle, go in person to a GA DOR title office within 30 days of the sale date.

You'll need to take:

You may also need additional documents to register your vehicle in Georgia. Visit our Car Registration in GA page to learn more.

Selling a Vehicle

If you have just sold your vehicle in Georgia, you must correctly fill out the title to assign it to your buyer.

Include the following information on the title:

  • Your name and address as it appears on your GA driver's license.
  • The sale date or the date you're transferring the title.
  • The odometer reading, UNLESS the vehicle is any of the following:
    • At least 10 years old.
    • Over 16,000 lbs. gross weight.
    • A trailer or other vehicle that IS NOT self-propelled.
    • Transferred from one dealer to another.
    • Is transferred from a manufacturer to a government agency.
  • Your printed name and signature.

NOTE: If the vehicle's odometer DOES NOT show the car's correct mileage, check the appropriate box on the title.

You can also create a Bill of Sale as proof of the sale date and price for both you and the buyer.

New to Georgia Car Title Transfer

When you move to Georgia, you must apply for a GA auto title transfer and vehicle registration in person at a GA DOR title office. You must submit:

NOTE: Vehicles that are a model year of 1986 or later MUST have a title in GA. If your previous state does not issue DMV titles, contact the GA DOR for other required documents.

Remove a Lien from a GA Title

Once you pay off a lien on your car, the lienholder will release it from your title.

If you have an Electronic Lien on Title (ELT), you need to contact the lienholder to have it released.

For liens recorded on the title itself, the lienholder will:

You will keep the original title showing the lien and lien release until you complete a DMV title transfer when you sell or trade the vehicle.

You DO NOT need a lien release for a lien that has been on a title for:

  • At least 10 years from the title's date of issue IF the vehicle is no more than 11 years old based on model year.
  • At least 4 years from the title's date of issue IF the vehicle is at least 12 years old based on model year.

NOTE: If your title is ever lost or stolen after the lien is released, you will need to get a new Notice of Satisfaction of Security Interest or Lien Holder's Affidavit (Form T-4) in order to get a duplicate title.

Inherited Vehicle Title Transfers

If you inherit a vehicle in Georgia, you'll need to complete a DMV title transfer to put the title in your name or to sell it.

You will need:

Submit the required documents and fees in person at your Georgia county tag office.

NOTE: See the GA DOR website for additional document requirements if:

  • You're buying a vehicle from an estate.
  • You're transferring the title of a vehicle owned by a company whose sole owner is deceased.
  • The estate executor is deceased.

Selling an Inherited Vehicle in GA

You can transfer ownership of an inherited vehicle from the deceased person directly to a new owner IF:

  • You present Letters of Testamentary/Administration.
  • You're a Georgia resident.

Otherwise, you must first complete a car title transfer to yourself before transferring ownership to someone else.

NOTE: If the vehicle doesn't have a GA title AND you are NOT a resident of Georgia, you must title the vehicle in your name in your home state BEFORE you can complete the car title transfer.

Gifted and Donated Vehicles

If you give your vehicle as a gift or donate it to a charity, contact the GA DOR for information about the auto title transfer process.

Get complete information about donating vehicles on our Car Donation page.

Fees for Georgia Title Transfers

The Georgia DOR charges the following fees when you apply for a vehicle title transfer or get a GA title for your out-of-state vehicle:

  • $18 title transfer fee.
  • $20 registration fee.
  • Title ad valorem tax based on the vehicle's value.

Other title fees include:

  • Duplicate title fee: $8.
  • Penalty for a late application (after 30 days): $10.

Change Your GA Vehicle Title

When you change your name or move to a new address, you must update your car title and vehicle registration with the Georgia DOR.

First, change the name or address on your GA driver's license or ID.

You can then change your title and vehicle registration information:

  • In person.
  • By mail.

In Person

To update your name and/or address in person, you'll need:

  • Your GA vehicle title.
  • Your updated Georgia driver's license or ID.
  • Proof of your name change (if applicable), such as your:
    • Marriage certificate.
    • Divorce decree.
    • Court order.
  • The appropriate vehicle titling fee:
    • $18 fee for a title in a new name.
    • This is free if you're ONLY changing your address.

Take all of the above to your local Georgia Tax Commissioner's tag office.

By Mail

To submit name and/or address changes for a motor vehicle title by mail, you will need:

  • The Motor Vehicle Title/Tag Application (Form MV-1). Be sure any paid liens are:
    • Released on the title.
    • NOT included on the application.
  • Your current GA vehicle title.
  • A copy of your updated GA driver's license or ID card.
  • A court document proving your name change (if applicable), for example your:
    • Marriage certificate.
    • Court order.
    • Divorce decree.
  • The appropriate GA title fee:
    • Name change (with or without address change): $18.
    • Address change ONLY is free.

Mail your documents to your local Tax Commissioner office.

Replace a Vehicle Title

If your motor vehicle title is lost, stolen, or damaged, you need to order a replacement.

NOTE: If you're selling your car and don't have the title, be sure to get a duplicate title so that you can complete the DMV title transfer process.

To get a replacement car title in Georgia, you must submit:

Learn more about getting a duplicate vehicle title on our Replacing a Lost Title page.



Submit this affidavit to transfer the title to your name when you inherit a vehicle.


Completed by a law enforcement officer when a VIN inspection is required for registration, usually for vehicles without titles.


Use this form when replacing or transferring the title of a vehicle with a lien.


Use this form for most vehicle title & registration transactions, including original applications, renewals, replacements, and changes.

Related Content

Provide Feedback

Looking for Title Transfers in Another State?