Other Licenses & Endorsements in Georgia
Pass Your CDL Written Exam with DMV Cheatsheets!
Get answers, save time and pass your CDL exam test the first time around. DMV Cheat Sheets advantages:
- Use Your Computer, Tablet or Mobile Phone
- Study When and Where You Want
- 24/7 Online Access
- Simply print and pass or your money back guaranteed
Get Your Test Answers Now!
Special Licenses in Georgia
Depending on the type of vehicle you want to drive and the driving profession you want to hold, you may need to apply for a special driver's license class or endorsement.
On this page you'll find an overview of some of the license classes and endorsements available in Georgia.
For information about obtaining a standard GA driver's license, please visit our pages on the following topics:
- Applying for a New License in Georgia (Drivers 18+).
- Applying for a New License in Georgia (Teen Drivers).
Commercial Driver's Licenses in Georgia
If you plan to drive a heavy-weight vehicle or a vehicle that is designed to carry a large number of passengers, you'll likely need to apply for a commercial driver's license.
For information about applying, please visit our Applying for a New CDL in Georgia page.
School Bus Requirements
To drive a school bus in Georgia, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Provide proof you passed a physical within the last 60 days prior to getting hired as a bus driver.
- Have a passenger endorsement and a school bus endorsement on your GA commercial driver's license (CDL). In order to receive a school bus endorsement, you must pass a knowledge test and a school bus driving skills test.
Additionally, you'll generally need to:
- Pass a background check.
- Have a clean driving record.
- Pass a school bus knowledge exam.
- Pass the driving test in a school bus.
For more information, please contact the Georgia DMV.
Taxi License Requirements in Georgia
Outside of mandatory fingerprinting, requirements vary with each municipality. Check with either your specific Georgia town/city government or a local taxi company for specifics.
You may need to:
- Pass a criminal background check.
- Have a clean driving record.
- Pay a taxi licensing fee.
Georgia Chauffeur Permit Requirements
To obtain a chauffeur permit in Georgia:
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- You must provide a letter on your limousine company's letterhead verifying employment.
- You must own a valid Georgia driver's license.
- You must submit to a background information check.
- Submit online a Limousine Chauffeur Endorsement Application.
- Pay the $15 fee.
Chauffeur endorsements are valid as long as your driver's license is valid.
*As of April 2015 the application for a limousine chauffeur endorsement must be submitted online.
Shuttle Bus Driver Requirements
Outside of owning a valid Georgia driver's license, requirements vary with employers. Some require the ability to lift a certain amount of weight for loading and unloading luggage.
Off-Road & Sport Vehicles in Georgia
Generally, sport and off-road vehicles do not require a special type of driver's license or endorsement. However, some vehicles may require you to be a minimum age or complete an operator's safety class.
Certain vehicles may require you to hold a motorcycle license or endorsement. For more information, please visit our Motorcycle License in Georgia page.
NOTE: Contact the Georgia DDS to check if you must title and register your sport vehicle.