Safety Laws in Georgia
Wearing a helmet is mandatory in Georgia.
- All riders under 16 years old must wear a helmet.
- When transporting children 1 year old and under, you must securely seat them in a child passenger bicycle seat, or a bicycle trailer, or an infant sling.
- When riding at night, your bike must be equipped with a white light that's visible from 300 feet away.
- You cannot carry any package that prevents you from having at least 1 hand on the handlebars.
All drivers under 18 years old years old are banned from cell phone use.
School bus drivers cannot use a cell phone while loading and unloading passengers, nor while the bus is in motion.
All drivers, regardless of age, are banned from texting while behind the wheel.
Headlights must be on 30 minutes after sunset to 30 minutes before sunrise. Headlights must also be on when it is raining and when visibility is reduced to under 500 feet.
Dial 911 if you notice a driver behaving erratically behind the wheel. When you call, be ready to provide a car description, license plate number, and the direction of the vehicle.
If you suspect an unattended child is in trouble, dial 911 and remain at the car until authorities arrive.
There are no laws against leaving an unattended pet inside a vehicle. If you suspect a pet may be in danger, dial 911 and remain with vehicle in question until help arrives.
- Children under 8 years old must ride in an approved safety seat or booster that is suited for their height and weight.
- Children 8 years old and under must ride in the back seat. If the back seat is occupied by other passengers your child may ride in the front seat, provided he or she is secured in a booster or child safety seat.
- Children over 8 years old must wear a seat belt.
- Any child over 4 ft 9 in may use a seat belt in lieu of a booster seat.
- Kids not requiring child seats may ride in front, provided he or she is older than 8 years old.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!
heroes have registered as organ donors.