- Location: Georgia
Moving Out of State in GeorgiaCompare Car Insurance Rates in 3 Steps
1. Enter Your Zip:
Georgia DOES NOT offer vehicle registration refunds when you move out of state.
You are not required to return your Georgia license plates after relocating to a new state.
- Apply for a new driver's license. After establishing residency most states require that this be done within a set amount of time, usually ranging between 30 and 60 days.
- Apply for a new registration. This too must be completed within a set amount of days after establishing residency.
- Apply for new license plates. This generally coincides with the registration process.
- Apply for a new vehicle title. Unlike the aforementioned, applying for a new title generally is not mandatory. If you plan on selling your vehicle, only then will you need an updated title to correspond with your new state.
- If you're a prospective new driver you will need to check if your permit is honored in your new state.
- If you completed a driver education course in your old state you will also need to investigate whether your new state will honor the completion certificate.