Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Special Vehicles in Georgia

    Georgia Special Vehicle Registration

    If you own a vehicle other than your standard car or truck, you may still be required by the Georgia Department of Revenue (DOR) to have it titled and registered in your name. Your requirements will be dependent on the type of vehicle you own. Keep reading below to check if your vehicle needs to be registered before you can take it for a spin.

    NOTE: You have 7 days to register your vehicle once you've acquired it. Failure to do so may result in a fine.

    Vehicles Exempt from Registration in Georgia

    The Georgia Department of Revenue does NOT require you to register the following vehicles:

    • Mopeds.
    • Motorized cars.
    • All-terrain vehicles (ATVs).
    • Off-road vehicles.
    • Tractors or motorcycles with 3 wheels used for agricultural purposes only.
    • Trailers weighing less than 3,500 lbs.
      • Must be used only for farming purposes.
    • Farm trailers (without springs) used only to transport farm products to markets, or used to transport fertilizer.

    You can view a complete list of vehicles that do not require a title on the Georgia DOR website.

    If you're not a resident of Georgia, you can drive your out-of-state vehicle in the state for up to 30 days without having to register it with the GA Department of Revenue (DOR). However, your vehicle must still be properly registered in another U.S. state.

    51 cc

    Vehicles Requiring GA Titles/Registration

    The Georgia DOR requires titles for the following vehicles (model 1986 and newer):

    Mobile homes (model year 1963 and newer) must also be titled in the state of Georgia.

    Homemade Georgia Trailers

    Georgia requires that homemade trailers be registered (but not titled). You'll need to complete the following forms:

    • Title/Tag Application (Form MV-1).
      • You do not need to include a vehicle identification number (VIN).
      • Use the year the trailer was built as the model year.
      • Insert "Homemade" as the make of the trailer.
    • Homemade Trailer Affidavit (Form T-23).
      • Your signature must be notarized.

    Take your completed forms and payment for the $12 license plate fee (plus any payment for any required ad valorem tax) to the GA Tax Commissioner's tag office in your county.

    Once the GA tag office has processed your application, they will issue you a serial plate, or "T" serial plate, which you must affix to your trailer. Once you've done this, you must have a Georgia law enforcement complete the Permission for County Assigned Serial Number Plate - For a Homemade Trailer (Form T-22C), which you will also have received from the GA Tax Commissioner's office.

    Return the completed form to your county Tax Commissioner's tag office and you will be issued a license plate and Georgia registration certificate.

    GA Titles for Mobile/Manufactured Homes

    To title your mobile or manufactured home in Georgia, you will need to take the following to your local GA county Tax Commissioner's office:

    • A completed Title/Tag Application (Form MV-1).
      • You will need to complete separate forms if your mobile home is a double-wide or triple-wide.
    • The original and valid:
      • Manufacturer's certificate of origin.
      • Certificate of title.
    • Payment for the $18 title fee and any ad valorem tax required.

    Mopeds and Scooters in GA

    In Georgia, a moped is defined as a a motor-driven cycle with an engine no bigger than 50 cc.

    A moped DOES NOT have to be registered.

    Motorbikes, scooters, motorcycles, and other motor-driven cycles with engines 51 cc or larger must be registered as motorcycles.

    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.