New to Georgia
Compare Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
Welcome to Georgia―No. 1 producer of peaches, pecans, and peanuts!
You'll enjoy living in Georgia. The state offers a wide variety of cultures, from rich farmlands to vibrant city life; slow country pace to high-speed technology.
Setting up a new residence is never easy, but we've made a list of resources that will provide you with helpful information to get you started:
Be sure to make time for fun, food, and friendship to help you get aquainted with your new state. Local visitor's bureaus will have information about your area, but here's a short list of some places you'll want to visit:
- Stone Mountain Park, Stone Mountain
- Callaway Gardens, Pine Mountain
- The Big Chicken, popular landmark, Marietta
Georgia is home to several professional sports teams: Atlanta Braves baseball, Atlanta Hawks basketball, and Atlanta Falcons football. College sports also offer great entertainment, so look for these in your area.
Good southern food reigns throughout Georgia. The tea is sweet and iced, the grits buttery and salted. Fried tomatoes, fried chicken, and fried okra hold places of honor on many tables. But it's not all fried, and much of it is quite healthy. Just be sure to try Georgia's specialties―you'll be hard pressed to find better peaches anywhere else!
- In Gainesville, the "Chicken Capital of the World," it is illegal to eat chicken with a fork.
- Coca-Cola was invented in Atlanta in 1886.
- Sweet onions known the world over are grown in Vidalia, Georgia.
- Former President Jimmy Carter lives in Plains.
- Atlanta is home to television networks TBS and Turner South.
- The north Georgia town of Dahlonega was home to the first gold rush in America in 1828. Gold is still mined in small quantities around the area.
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- The REAL ID Act: Are You Ready for a National ID?
- New Study: Voice Texting and Traditional Texting Equally Distracting
- Bicycling While Boozing
- Federal Agency Stirring Around the Idea of Lowering BAC Limit to .05 Percent
- Pot Runs to Legalized Marijuana States Putting Cops on High Alert
- Behind the scenes: Iron Man & rental car insurance
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.