- Location: Georgia
Dealer-related Information in Georgia
Licensed car dealers in the state of Georgia are required to fulfill certain responsibilities in the course of running their business. As a car dealer, you are required to do the following:
- You must apply for a title in your customer's name within 30 days of them purchasing a vehicle from you. Stiff penalties are applied if you fail to do so within that time frame.
- You must supply your customer with a temporary 30 day tag (see below) to allow the buyer time to apply for their own tag.
- If the vehicle is financed, you must file a Notice of Security Interest with the State within 20 days of purchase.
Not following these guidelines can result in fines, civil penalties, and misdemeanor charges.
The state does not supply the temporary tags for your customer's car. The following associations can provide more information about obtaining temporary tags:
- Georgia Independent Automobile Dealers Association (GIADA)
- 6903-A Oak Ridge Commerce Way
- Austell, GA 30168
- (770)745-9650 or (800)472-8101
- Fax: (770) 745-9655
- Georgia Automobile Dealers Association (GADA)
- 2255 Cumberland Parkway, Building 900
- Atlanta, GA 30339-4515
- (770) 432-1658
- Fax: (770) 432-9100
The tags must meet certain criteria. They must:
- Be the same size as state-issued license plates.
- Be made of heavy stock paper.
- Contain a holographic feature that will be destroyed if tampered with.
- Repel regular inks and marking pens.
- Reflect your dealership's name and address (optional).
A detailed list of temporary tag requirements is available online.