511 Traffic Systems in Florida
The U.S. Department of Transportation, with the approval of the Federal Communications Commission, developed the Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) to increase the traffic efficiency and safety on the nation's roadways.
The ITS gathers information about almost everything that can impair the ability of motorists to arrive at their destination safely and smoothly, such as detours, accidents, road closures, poor weather conditions, and dangerous roadway surfaces.
To access the Florida system, just dial 511 from a landline or cell phone at any time. You'll receive up-to-date information about traffic conditions in your local area, or in other parts of the Sunshine State. Orlando airport information is also available. Simply follow the voice instructions to obtain the information you need.
Be sure to visit the state's 511 site, too. While there, you can view travel times between destinations, camera shots of roadway conditions, and maps highlighting construction zones, accidents, lane closures, and congestion.Recommended ArticlesOther Topics in This Section
- Traffic Alerts
- 511 Traffic Systems
- Tire Recalls
- Safety Laws
- How Emotions Affect Driving
- Driving in Hazardous Conditions
- Teen Drivers: A Beginner's Guide
- Seniors: When To Turn Over The Car Keys
- Packing Your First-Aid Kit
- Seven Senior Safety Suggestions
- Wildlife on the Road
- When to Call Wildlife Rescue
- Taking A Mature Driver Course
- Medications & Driving
- Night Driving
- Hallucinations on the Road
- How To Drive Distraction Free
- Road Rage: How To Deal With It
Provide FeedbackBe a Hero
heroes have registered as organ donors.