Special Licenses in Florida
Pass Your CDL Written Exam with DMV Cheatsheets!
Get answers, save time and pass your CDL exam test the first time around. DMV Cheat Sheets advantages:
- Use Your Computer, Tablet or Mobile Phone
- Study When and Where You Want
- 24/7 Online Access
- Simply print and pass or your money back guaranteed
Get Your Test Answers Now!
Special Licenses in Florida
Depending on what type of vehicle you want to drive and how many passengers you want to transport, you may need to apply for a special license or endorsement with the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV).
If you plan to drive a heavy vehicle or a vehicle that can transport a large number of passengers, you'll likely need to apply for a commercial driver's license.
On this page you'll find an overview of some of the license classes and driver's license endorsements you may need.
If you are looking for information about applying for a regular driver's license, please visit one of the following pages:
- Applying for a New License (Drivers 18+) in Florida.
- Applying for a New License (Teen Drivers) in Florida.
You'll need to obtain a commercial driver's license (CDL) if you intend to drive any of the following:
- A vehicle whose actual, registered, or gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is over 26,001 lbs. and is towing a vehicle with an actual, registered, or GVWR of over 10,000 lbs. (Class A license).
- A single vehicle whose actual, registered, or GVWR is over 26,001 lbs. (Class B license).
- A vehicle weighing under 26,001 lbs. and designed to either transport more than 15 passengers (including the driver) or carry hazardous materials (Class C license)
Certain driving professions require having endorsements in addition to a CDL, while others don't require a CDL but do require an endorsement.
For more information, please visit our Applying for a New CDL in Florida page.
Florida School Bus Drivers
To drive a school bus, you must have a CDL along with a school bus (S) endorsement and passenger (P) endorsement.
Generally, you will need to:
- Receive school bus training and certification.
- Pass a school bus written test.
- Pass a driving test in the type of bus you want to drive.
- Pass a background check and maintain a clean criminal record.
- Have a clean driving record.
For more information, please contact the Florida DMV.
Shuttle Bus Drivers
Shuttle buses not only come in a variety of styles and sizes, but are used in many different ways. You may need to obtain a CDL, along with a passenger or other endorsements, depending on the size and passenger capacity of the bus you want to drive.
Check with the FL DMV or your potential employer to find out what is needed.
Check with your local government offices or a taxi company to find out what endorsements or special license you will need. As a general rule, taxi drivers only need to have the standard, Class E driver's license. However, local jurisdictions may impose additional requirements.
You should be prepared to:
- Pass a background check.
- Maintain a clean driving record.
- Become certified as a taxi driver.
- Pay a taxi licensing fee.
Those seeking to be a chauffeur may need to obtain a CDL along with a passenger (P) endorsement.
You don't need to have a special license to ride an all-terrain vehicle or off-road vehicle. You may need a motorcycle license or endorsement for certain types of off-road vehicles.
For more information, please visit our Motorcycle License in Florida page.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!
heroes have registered as organ donors.