DMV Driver Handbook in Florida
Driving handbooks and DMV manuals are available to help you learn about Florida traffic laws, safe driving practices, and operating special vehicles. Available driving manuals include the FL driver's handbook, commercial driving manual, motorcycle handbook, and vehicle code.
Below, you'll find information about the basic driving manual in Florida as well as DMV handbooks for special driver's licenses, such as motorcycle licenses and commercial driver's licenses (CDLs).
The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV) offers training materials like the driver's manual to help you get a FL driver's license.
What's in the FL Drivers Manual?
The DMV handbook for drivers contains information to help you learn the rules and practices to safely operate a motor vehicle. You'll find topics such as:
- Driving skills, including rules of the road, parking, and speed limits.
- Traffic signals, road signs, and pavement markings.
- Vehicle equipment requirements.
The Florida driving manual also explains the processes and rules for driver's licenses. From the handbook, you'll learn about things like:
- How to apply for a Florida driver's license.
- DMV point system.
- Driver's license suspensions.
- Insurance and accident reporting laws.
- How to obtain your FL driving record.
Read below about using the Florida DMV handbook to prepare for your written driver's license test.
Studying the Florida Driving Manual
The FL driver's manual is the basis for the written knowledge test you'll take to get your learner's permit or driver's license.
Test questions will ask you about Florida road rules and regulations as well as driver's license regulations and other topics found in the driver's handbook.
Reading and studying the driver's manual is a good way to start preparing for your written test. You can also test your knowledge using the sample questions in the DMV manual.
A perfect complement to studying the FL Driver's Handbook is preparing for the written exam with the help of an online practice test. These comprehensive study guides have been created to help you pass the test on your first attempt. Our certified partner offers practice tests for most types of vehicles, including cars, motorcycles, and commercial vehicles in Florida.
The FL DHSMV handbook for motorcycles discusses how to operate motorcycles safely, covering topics such as:
- Motorcycle laws and licensing procedures in Florida.
- Helmet and eyewear regulations.
- Choosing the right motorcycle gear.
- Riding skills, including carrying passengers.
- The Florida Rider Training Program (FRTP).
- Knowledge and road skills tests.
Studying the DMV Manual for Motorcycles
The written knowledge test you'll take for your Florida motorcycle license is based on the information in the DMV handbook. It also explains the requirements of the road skills test that you'll take on your motorcycle.
You can study the DMV manual and take online practice tests to prepare for your written exam.
Visit our Motorcycle License in Florida page to learn more about how to apply for a license.
The DMV handbook for commercial drivers in Florida covers both driving rules and licensing processes to give you a complete picture of what it means to operate a commercial vehicle.
Topics in the Commercial Driver's Manual
In the Florida commercial driving manual, you'll find instructions for operating commercial vehicles, such as:
- Pre-trip inspection test, including special rules for specific vehicles.
- Safe driving rules (e.g., shifting gears, vehicle inspection, controlling speed, driving at night, driving emergencies).
- Air brakes (e.g., parts, inspection, use of brakes).
You'll also learn about transporting special items. The Florida CDL driver's handbook covers:
- Cargo transportation safety (securing cargo, weights and balancing, and inspections).
- Passenger transportation safety, including loading, prohibited actions, and use of brake-door interlocks.
- Hazardous materials (loading, unloading, and emergencies).
Finally, the FL commercial driver's manual explains the rules and regulations of commercial licenses, including:
- An introduction to commercial driver's licenses (CDLs), including disqualifications and required tests.
- Information about the on-road driving test, including how the test is scored.
Preparing for CDL Tests with the DMV Manual
The DMV handbook for commercial drivers is the basis of the written test you'll take to get your CDL in Florida. To prepare for the test, you can study the driving manual and take practice tests.
The DMV manual also has information about the driving test you'll need to pass to get your CDL. You can read about the maneuvers you'll be required to make during the test and other expectations of the CDL road test.
Be sure to check the Florida commercial driver's handbook for other CDL requirements and qualifications, including your physical health and driving record.
To learn more about getting a CDL in Florida, please visit our Applying for a CDL page.
The Florida Vehicle Code covers topics ranging from driver's licenses, vehicle registrations, and titles, to accident procedures and FL traffic laws.
The Vehicle Code is helpful for researching specific Florida laws and regulations because it offers more details about traffic laws than the Florida driver's handbook. This can be particularly helpful if you're fighting a traffic ticket.
However, if you're a new driver or new to Florida, start with a driver's handbook or DMV manual to learn general driving principles and as a Florida road rules and regulations guide.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!