- Location: Florida
Driver Handbook in FloridaCompare Car Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
The State of Florida is committed to helping residents obtain driver licenses for the vehicles they own. While there are a lot of regulations, the Driver License Division of the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV) provides all the free training materials and information you need to succeed.
The handbook covers the following key topics:
- Licensing procedures, including classes of licenses, exams required, proper identification, ID cards, and organ donor requirements.
- Driver responsibilities, including the point system, suspension regulations, insurance laws, and accident reporting laws.
- Driving techniques, including rules of the road, parking, right-of-way, and speed limits.
- Signals and signs, including traffic signals, road signs, and pavement markings
- Vehicle requirements, including standards for equipment, braking regulations, towing rules, and bicycles.
- Miscellaneous information, including first aid and how to obtain your driving record or a crash report.
For motorcycle riders, there is a Motorcycle Handbook available in English or Spanish, which is explained further on our Motorcycle Manual page.
Other Topics in This SectionArticles
- Intro to CDLs, including disqualifications and basic rundown of required tests.
- Safe driving rules, including shifting gears, vehicle inspection, controlling speed, driving at night, and driving emergencies.
- Cargo transportation safety, including securing cargo, weights and balancing, and inspections.
- Passenger transportation safety, including loading, prohibited actions, and use of brake-door interlocks.
- Air brakes, including parts, inspection, and use of brakes.
- Safe practices with specialty vehicles, including combinations, double and triple trailers, tanks, and school buses.
- Hazardous materials, including loading, unloading, and emergencies.
- Pre-trip inspection test, including special rules for specific vehicles.
- Basic vehicle control test, including how the test is scored.
- On-road driving test, including how the test is scored.
- 5 Important Steps If You Lost Your Drivers License
- I-94 Forms and Arriving in the U.S.
- What to do if the Colorado Floods Damaged Your Car
- 9 Urgent Must-Dos If You Lose Your Driver’s License
- 7 Reasons Student Drivers Fail Their Written Permit Exam
- Werner Herzog’s Texting-and-Driving Documentary Slated to Hit Hard