- Location: Florida
Commercial Driver FAQs in FloridaGet Free Commercial Auto Insurance Quotes from Multiple Providers
Enter Your Zip Code:
What is a CDL and when do I need one?
A CDL is a commercial driver license, which is required when you drive the following vehicles:
- Trucks or combinations with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) that are 26,001 lbs. or higher. If present, a towed unit should weigh more than 10,000 lbs.
- Trucks with a GVWR that equals or exceeds 26,001 lbs.
- Vehicles transporting hazardous materials in amounts requiring placards, or made to transport 16 passengers or more (driver included), with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. or less.
Is there a minimum age to obtain a CDL?
Yes, you must be at least 18 years old, but if you're younger than 21 years old, you'll be restricted to driving only within state boundaries. You also are ineligible to drive a vehicle carrying hazardous materials until you reach the age of 21 years old.
What kind of tests are required for a CDL?
You'll need to pass a battery of written knowledge tests pertaining to the specific license class you want. Then, you'll be required to pass a series of skills tests: Pre-trip Inspection, Basic Skills, and Driving.
Will I need to undergo a medical examination?
Yes, you'll need to successfully complete a physical, and have the Medical Examination Report verifying your results.
Where can I receive skills training for my CDL tests?
A number of state-approved third-party companies are available to help you get through the rigorous training process, and can even administer the required tests at the end of your training period.
Is my Florida CDL good everywhere in the U.S.?
Yes. It will be recognized by highway patrols throughout the United States.
Can I apply for or renew a CDL online?
No. You must apply for or renew your CDL in person at your local driver license office. Call the office nearest you for hours, as they may differ slightly by area.
Is it possible to be disqualified from obtaining a Florida CDL?
Yes. You will not be eligible for a CDL from the state of Florida if one of the following apply:
- You already have a driver license from another state (illegal to hold more than one license).
- You are under suspension, revocation, or cancellation in Florida or another state.
- You are under disqualification in Florida or another state for reasons including alcohol citations and serious traffic violations (see this FAQ for more details).
WHERE TO FIND MORE INFORMATION
Organ Donation Survey
Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?
Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.Update Your Organ
Donor Information ▸