- Location: Florida
Paperwork When Buying a Car in FloridaGet detailed Vehicle History Report in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start a Search:Page Overview
The following is a list of applicable forms for this process:
You should never buy or sell a vehicle that doesn't have a title. The HSMV must have a title in order to verify and identify the vehicle to transfer ownership. If a vehicle is missing its title, the seller should apply for a duplicate title before initiating a sale. The seller can then sign over this title to the buyer.
It is legal to buy or sell a vehicle without a registration. However, the seller must sign over the title to the buyer, and the buyer must take the appropriate steps to transfer the title into his or her name (see Registration & Titling).
Again, exercise caution when purchasing a used vehicle from a dealer or an individual. Look over the HSMV's useful packet of information if you're planning to purchase a used vehicle.
It's always smart to keep a Bill of Sale for your own records. This form serves as your proof of purchase and helps, if applicable, determine your vehicle's sales tax. If you have difficulty locating Florida's Bill of Sale, you can easily download a generic form from our Bill of Sale page.Articles
- 5 Important Steps If You Lost Your Drivers License
- I-94 Forms and Arriving in the U.S.
- What to do if the Colorado Floods Damaged Your Car
- 9 Urgent Must-Dos If You Lose Your Driver’s License
- 7 Reasons Student Drivers Fail Their Written Permit Exam
- Werner Herzog’s Texting-and-Driving Documentary Slated to Hit Hard