Choose Your State
Driver’s Ed is a requirement to get a driver’s license for teenagers and new adult drivers in many states.
While driver’s education and training programs will differ from state to state, completing a course will help prepare you to pass the written exam and road test administered by your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), Department of Revenue (DOR), Motor Vehicle Division (MVD), or Department of Public Safety (DPS).
Along with preparing you for your driver’s tests, Driver’s Ed will teach you the skills required of safe, responsible drivers.
Completing a driver’s education course will put you one step closer to meeting the requirements of your learner’s permit and getting behind the wheel with your first driver’s license.
Even if you’re an experienced driver or a parent getting ready to teach your teenager how to drive, a Driver’s Ed course can help refresh you on topics including:
- Safe and defensive driving habits.
- Traffic laws and the rules of the road.
- Sharing the road with other drivers, motorcyclists, bicyclists and pedestrians.
- Handling adverse conditions and emergencies situations.
Driver’s Ed, whether it’s a requirement or not, can benefit all drivers.
Choose your state below to learn about the specific driver’s education requirements set by your state’s DMV, DOR, MVD, or DPS.
On your state’s page you’ll find information regarding:
- Driver’s Ed age and eligibility requirements.
- The total number of hours of driver’s education you’ll need to complete.
- The classroom and behind-the-wheel components of your state’s Driver’s Ed program.
- Whether you can complete your course through:
- Your high school.
- An online driver’s education provider.
- A licensed, professional driving school.
- The next steps to obtain your driver’s license.
Completing your Driver’s Ed course will put your one step closer to getting your driver’s license and may even help to lower your car insurance rates.
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
- Washington DC
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!