Suspended CDL in Delaware
Commercial Driver’s License Suspensions in Delaware
In Delaware, the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) can disqualify your commercial driver’s license (CDL) for a variety of reasons, including:
- Refusing to submit to a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) test.
- Driving under the influence (DUI) of drugs/alcohol.
- Driving your commercial vehicle while on an out-of-service order.
- Speeding and reckless driving.
- Following too closely and making erratic lane changes.
- Driving without the required CDL endorsements.
- Driving a commercial vehicle without your CDL.
- Texting and driving.
On this page you’ll find information about your disqualification and how to have your Delaware commercial driver’s license reinstated.
Your Delaware CDL will be disqualified for a pre-determined period of time, which will vary depending on your violation. Your non-commercial driving privileges may also be suspended, which may extend the length of your CDL suspension.
NOTE: In addition to your Delaware DMV penalties, you may also face court requirements and fines if you were convicted of a crime for your violation.
Your commercial driving privileges can be suspended for:
- 1 year for your 1st violation of a major offense, such as:
- Alcohol/drug-related offenses.
- Refusing to submit to a BAC test.
- Using your commercial vehicle to commit a felony.
- 3 years for your 1st violation of a major offense (while transporting hazardous materials).
- A lifetime for your 2nd violation of a major offense.
- 60 – 120 days if you’ve had multiple serious traffic violations within 3 years.
- 60 – 120 days for violating railroad highway grade crossing laws.
For a complete list of reasons your DE CDL can be disqualified, visit the .
NOTE: It is against the law to drive a commercial vehicle if your BAC is 0.04% or higher.
If you are convicted of a CDL traffic offense in Delaware, you must notify your employer:
- •Within 30 days of your conviction.
- •By the end of the next business day after you receiving a disqualification notice, if applicable.
For information about your specific requirements, contact the Delaware DMV:
- Suspensions/disqualifications: (302) 744-2509.
- Revocations: (302) 744-2508.
- Other CDL questions: (877) 477-7117.
NOTE: Your CDL can also be disqualified traffic violations you commit in a non-commercial vehicle. For more information, please see our Suspended License in Delaware page.
Check Your Commercial Driver License Status
Serious traffic violations may lead points on your Delaware DMV driving record AND disqualification of your CDL.
You can order your DE DMV driving record to:
- Check the status of your CDL.
- Check how many driving record points you currently have.
- View your traffic offenses and make sure there is no incorrect information.
Depending on your offense, you may be able to request a Delaware DMV administrative hearing to contest your CDL disqualification.
- If your suspension/disqualification was caused by a DUI/DWI violation, you can request an administrative hearing by completing the online administrative hearing request on the Delaware DMV website.
- To request an administrative hearing for other suspensions/disqualification, call (302) 744-2508.
NOTE: Administrative hearings for DUI/DWI offenses must be requested within 15 days after your arrest.
Has your Delaware CDL been suspended for traffic violations or DUI? Find an attorney near you who can help.
Your CDL reinstatement requirements will vary depending on the reason for your disqualification. If your non-commercial driver’s license was also suspended, you may have additional requirements.
To reinstate your CDL, you may need to:
- Complete any outstanding court requirements, if convicted of a crime.
- Complete an alcohol education/improvement program, if required for alcohol/drug-related offenses.
- Complete the commercial driving skills and knowledge tests, if required.
- Pay the CDL reinstatement fee. (See “Fees to Reinstate Your Delaware CDL” below.)
For information about your specific CDL reinstatement requirements, contact the Delaware DMV:
- Suspensions: (302) 744-2509.
- Revocations: (302) 744-2508.
- All other CDL questions: (877) 477-7117.
The fees to reinstate your commercial driver’s license depends on whether it was suspended or revoked:
- Suspension: $25.
- Revocation: $143.75.
Your specific fees may vary, so you should contact the Delaware DMV to confirm your reinstatement fees.
NOTE: You also need to pay additional court fees/fines before your CDL will be reinstated.
Acceptable Forms of Payment
The Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles accepts the following forms of payment for CDL reinstatements:
- Money order.
- VISA, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express credit/debit cards.