Safety Laws in Delaware
Delaware works hard to keep child passengers safe. Each month, the Office of Highway Safety conducts free child-seat safety checks. The officers answer questions about safety seats, recalls, placement, and installment. No appointment is necessary. Call (302) 744-2740 to find out when the next check is being held in your area.
- Delaware law states that all children under 12 years old must ride in the back seat of the vehicle.
- Babies less than 1 year old must be placed in an approved rear-facing car carrier, with harness straps at or below the shoulders.
- Children between 1 years old and 3 years old should ride in an infant or rear-facing convertible seat until reaching the height and weight limits of the seat.
- Children between 4 years old and 7 years old will remain in an approved forward-facing car seat, with the harness straps across the shoulders.
- Toddlers and children between 8 years old and 12 years old "graduate" to a booster seat, which is buckled in using the vehicle's safety belts.
- All children 16 years old and younger must wear a seat belt at all times.
When you shop online for a child car seat, be sure the car seat matches your child's height, weight and age.
Delaware requires that seat belts be worn by all passengers at all times.
State authorities have banned texting and the use of hand-held cell phones while driving.Other Topics in This Section
Organ Donation Survey
- Traffic Alerts
- 511 Traffic Systems
- Tire Recalls
- Safety Laws
- How Emotions Affect Driving
- Driving in Hazardous Conditions
- Teen Drivers: A Beginner's Guide
- Seniors: When To Turn Over The Car Keys
- Packing Your First-Aid Kit
- Seven Senior Safety Suggestions
- Wildlife on the Road
- When to Call Wildlife Rescue
- Taking A Mature Driver Course
- Medications & Driving
- Night Driving
- Hallucinations on the Road
- How To Drive Distraction Free
- Treating Motion Sickness
- Road Rage: How To Deal With It
Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?
Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.Update Your Organ
Donor Information ▸