Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • RV & Motorhome Registration in Delaware

    Get Free RV & Motor Home Insurance Quotes

    Enter Your Zip Code:

    Motor-home travel has become a popular recreational activity for many families, individuals, and retirees. If you have a motor home or travel trailer that you use for recreational travel, you will need to register your vehicle in Delaware.

    Recreational vehicles can be pretty expensive; you will need to pay attention to lienholder requirements if you have a loan on your travel rig. You will also want to consider the weight of your RV when registering it at the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV).


    Your recreational vehicle can be inspected at any DMV office. Once you pass the safety and emission check you will be ready for title or registration.

    Inspecting your RV is different than your car because it is taller, longer, and may even be towed. Some tips to keep in mind when submitting to inspections include:

    • Look for good tire tread.
    • Check that all lights are in working order.
    • Make sure your cargo is safely stored.
    • Check your brakes and brake adjustments.
    • Make sure your mirrors are intact and working.
    • Look for clear sight lines.

    There are many varieties of motor homes and travel trailers. It is your responsibility to make certain your RV is safe for the road. Pre-trip inspections are a great idea any time you leave out with your RV or stop for a roadside rest.


    Recreational vehicles can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. If you financed your RV be sure to include the lienholder when you apply for the Certificate of Title. When the DMV issues your Certificate of Title, it will be mailed to you (or the lienholder, if you have one).

    If you want to include another owner on the new Certificate of Title, carefully fill in the buyers section of the Assignment of Title. A dealership will know how to do the paperwork to get the Certificate of Title issued properly.


    After the inspection and the Certificate of Title, you are ready for registration. The annual fee you pay on an RV is the same as an automobile―$40. However, additional fees do apply to your RV; how much more is based on its weight.

    The first 5,000 pounds are covered by your $40 fee. Every 1,000 pounds beyond the first 5,000 will cost $6.40.


    The DMV will send you a registration renewal notice 90 days before your registration expires.

    Renewing your registration is easily done at any DMV office. Because the inspection process can take longer on RVs, try to allow plenty of time; you may even consider hitting the inspection lane during the 90 days prior to your registration expiration, if an inspection is required. (Very new vehicles may not require inspection.)

    True or False

    Doctors don’t work with the same urgency to save your life if they know you’re an organ donor.

    True False


    Every doctors first priority is to save your life regardless of your organ donation status.

    More about Organ Donation ▸ Become an Organ Donor ▸