Replacing a Lost License in DelawarePage Overview
- Apply for a Duplicate License in Delaware
- Replacing a License While Out of State
- Reporting a Missing Delaware Driver's License
- Related Content
Verified As Of: 05/07/2015?Our goal is to give you the most up-to-date, accurate information about your state DMV's processes. The date you see here reflects the most recent time we've verified this information with your state DMV. When they change something, we do, too!
Replacing a Lost Delaware Driver's License
Should you discover your driver's license has been lost, damaged, or even stolen, you must get a duplicate as soon as you can. Remember, it is against the law to drive in Delaware without a valid driver's license. Fortunately, the Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) makes the replacement process simple.
To change your address or the name on your DE driver's license, please visit our Address & Name Change section.
NOTE: If you are looking to obtain a duplicate copy of your CDL, please read our page about Replacing a Lost CDL.
The easiest, quickest, and preferred method for you to get a duplicate Delaware driver's license is to go directly to a Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office. They will be able to issue your duplicate driver's license on the spot.
When you visit your local DE DMV office, you will have to provide the following documents and fees:
- 1 document for proof of identification, such as your valid U.S. passport or your birth certificate.
- 1 document for proof of your Social Security number, such as your Social Security card or a W-2.
- 2 documents to prove you are a resident of Delaware, such as a utility bill and a credit card statement.
- Payment for the replacement driver's license fee of $10.
The DMV understands that your driver's license is an important document for you and the one you use most often to prove your identity. However, without it you'll have to come up with some other paperwork. You can find other suggested forms of identification and approved documents on Delaware's Required Document Table.
The Delaware DMV makes it extremely easy to obtain a temporary driver's license when your driver's license goes missing while you are traveling out of the state or country. You'll need to provide:
- Your name, date of birth, AND Social Security number.
- Your driver license number.
- Your Delaware address.
- The reason you are not in Delaware.
- The date you will return to DE.
- Your place of birth.
- If you were not born in the United States, contact the Delaware DMV at (302) 744-2506 for assistance.
- Your current phone number.
- The fax number or e-mail address you would like the temporary license sent to.
- Your signature.
Fax the following information to (302) 739-2602, with the header "Attention: Driver License, to request a temporary driver's license".
Your temporary Delaware driver's license will be valid for up to 6 months.
If your DE driver's license has been lost or if you suspect it of being stolen, consider reporting the theft to the police. You will have a police report in the case that someone tries to use your driver's license or any other missing items fraudulently, including as a means of identity theft.
If you would like to proceed with filing the report, contact your police department for more information about reporting your particular incident.Recommended ArticlesOther Topics in This Section