Renewing Your License in Delaware
Renew Your Delaware Driver's License
If you plan to drive your vehicle in Delaware, you'll need to renew your DE driver's license with the Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) when it is near its expiration date (or in some cases, expired).
If you're looking for information about other types of driver's licenses, visit our following pages:
- Commercial driver's license (CDL) renewals
- Identification cards
- Driver's permits
- Motorcycle licenses
When to Renew Your DE Driver's License
The DE DMV will mail you a renewal notice approximately 60 days before your driver's license is set to expire.
Class D (standard or permanent) driver's licenses must be renewed every 5 years to 8 years.
If you're curious about your driver's license status, you can always obtain a copy of your driving record.
Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Driver's License
For information on how to replace a lost, stolen, or damaged driver's license in Delaware, please read our page about Replacing a Lost License.
Expired Driver's License
Expired license renewals are handled in the same manner as current licenses, except the DE DMV will charge you a $10 late fee.
Renew Your Delaware Driver's License
NOTE: If your name, date of birth, or Social Security number reported by the Social Security Administration (SSA) doesn't match what is on file with the DMV, you will not be allowed to renew your driver's license. Contact the Delaware DMV for more information.
Driver's license renewals must be completed in person at your local Delaware DMV office.
You will need to:
- Surrender your expiring DE driver's license.
- Complete the application form in person.
- Pass a vision test.
- Take the written and road tests, if required.
- Pay the required driver's license renewal fee.
- See “Fees to Renew Your DE Driver's License" below.
If you want to receive a DE driver's license that is compliant with the REAL ID Act, you'll need to show additional documentation proving your identity. For more information about the REAL ID Act, read our article.
Out-of-State Residents and Military Members
Out-of-State Civilian Residents
If you are unable to renew your DE driver's license in person because you are living outside of the state temporarily, the DMV may grant you driving privileges for a period of 6 months after the expiration date. You'll need a signed request that includes the following information:
- Full name.
- Birth date and place of birth (city, state, country).
- Social Security number (SSN).
- Delaware driver's license number.
- Phone number.
- Fax number or e-mail address where you'd like your temporary driver's license to be sent to.
- Delaware address.
- Reason why you're out of state and the date of your return.
Fax your request to to (302) 744-2602 (“Attn: Driver License").
NOTE: If you're a non-U.S. citizen, call (302) 744-2506 for more information.
Military License Extension
Delaware does not charge late renewal fees for service members, Defense Department personnel, and dependents who can prove that you were deployed out of state when your driver's license expired. You'll need to submit your military ID and orders (or a letter from your commanding officer, if your orders have expired) when you renew with the DMV upon your return.
Should you wish to renew your Delaware driver's license while you're away, you may do so by mail. Send in a remote request that includes:
- Full name and SSN.
- Date and place of birth.
- Driver's license number.
- Permanent DE address and mailing address.
- E-mail or contact number.
- A copy of your military orders OR a letter from your commanding officer, if the orders have expired.
- Payment for the applicable fee (see below).
- A stamped and self-addressed envelope.
Mail the above to:
Division of Motor Vehicles
Attn: Driver Services Department.
P.O. Box 698
Dover, DE 19903
Fees to Renew Your DE Driver's License
In Delaware the required fees for renewing your driver's license for 8 years is $40.
If you have a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license, you'll need to pay an additional $12.
Accepted Payment MethodsThe Delaware DMV accepts the following payment methods:
- Money order.
- Debit card.
- VISA, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover credit cards.