Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Special Vehicles in Delaware

    Compare Car Insurance Quotes in 3 Steps

    1. Enter Your Zip:

    Mopeds, Tripeds, and Motor Scooters

    Mopeds, tripeds, and motor scooters that are owned by Delaware residents must be registered and titled if you'll be using them on public roads.

    You must have a valid driver's license to operate the moped and triped, and have a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license to operate the motor scooter. You must also wear a safety helmet when operating these bikes. The state recommends that you wear bright clothing as an extra safety precaution.

    Mopeds and tripeds need to have a light on the front and the rear, and a bell or horn. Motor scooters must meet the same safety equipment requirements as a motorcycle and must pass a safety inspection during the registration process.

    You cannot drive your moped or triped on interstates or limited-access highways, nor on areas designated as bicycle paths unless the motor has been turned off.

    The cost to register your moped or triped is $5 for 3 years. The title and registration process is the same for any type of vehicle in Delaware, so if you've registered your car, you should be familiar with the routine.

    Off-Highway Vehicles (OHVs)

    You must register your OHV with your local Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV). When you register, you'll need to provide a complete description of the vehicle, including the serial number, and pay a $6 registration fee, valid for 3 years. You must be 18 years old to register the OHV unless your parent or legal guardian will provide written consent on the application and accompany you to the DMV.

    Your OHV must have brakes and a muffler to reduce the noise level by 60%.

    OHVs are not allowed on public roads.

    Golf Carts and Snowmobiles

    Delaware does not require registration or titles for golf carts or snowmobiles, and they cannot be driven on public roadways.

    Boats and Boat Trailers

    You must register your boat with the Division of Fish & Wildlife, part of Delaware's Department of Natural Resources. Your boat trailer must be registered with your local DMV.

    Custom-built or Kit Cars provides all the information you'll need to register your custom-built vehicle.

    Recreational Vehicles (RVs)

    If you own an RV, or are thinking of buying one, check out's RV & Motorhome pages for helpful information on titling and registering your new toy.

    True or False

    Doctors don’t work with the same urgency to save your life if they know you’re an organ donor.

    True False


    Every doctor's first priority is to save your life regardless of your organ donation status.

    More Organ Donor Myths ▸ Become an Organ Donor ▸