Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Change of Address in Delaware

    It's probably safe to say that many people aren't going to keep the same address for life; many people will even change their names.

    If you move or change your name, you must notify the Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) right away. In fact, you have 30 days to let the DMV know that your address or name has changed so your Delaware driver's license can be updated.

    Changing Your Address

    The DMV has a simple procedure for updating your address in their system. Complete the Change of Address Form, which is available online using the free Adobe Reader, and gather up just a few pieces of required information:

    • Drivers license number
    • Full name as printed on your driver's license
    • New address

    Include all the form and information in a letter to the DMV and mail it directly to:

    • Division of Motor Vehicles
    • P.O. Box 698
    • Dover, DE 19903

    Getting an Updated Driver's License

    Once you have mailed in your address change, the DMV database is updated but you are still carrying around the same old driver's license. Take a minute to visit one of the DMV offices and you will be given (yes, it is free) a new driver's license showing your new address.

    Remember, if you don't notify the DMV of your address change, you might miss the renewal reminder card and forget to renew when your driver's license expires.

    Name Changes

    When you get married or divorced you might change your name. If you do, the DMV wants you to notify them in person so they can update the DMV database.

    Within just 30 days of your name change you must go to a DMV office to get a new driver's license. Bring with you:

    • Proof of name change
    • Current driver's license
    • $1.15 fee

    A marriage certificate, divorce decree, or other court document can be used to prove your name has changed. The new driver's license you receive will have your new name and new address, if that changed too. Be sure to look over the new license very carefully. If there is a mistake in spelling, endorsements, or restrictions it is much easier to correct it right away.


    If you're a driver in the military or frequently travel the globe, you may need to update your military ID and passport, too.

    Other Topics in This Section
    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.