Accident Guide in Delaware
Compare Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
Accidents happen all the time. When you're involved in a vehicle accident in Delaware, you are required to contact local law enforcement if:
- The accident results in injury or death to anyone
- The accident occurs on a public highway and causes damages greater than $500
- The drivers involved in the accident appear to be intoxicated from alcohol or drugs, or impaired for some other reason
Check the Delaware Driver's Manual for a helpful form to be used in case of an accident. The form is in the Crashes and Accidents section, which starts on page 111 in the August 2006 version of the manual. Most insurance companies will also have accident forms available, if needed.
If you're involved in an accident, you need to stop your car and stay at the scene. If your car and/or property is the only thing that was damaged, you won't need to stay at the scene, but you still need to report the incident.
If you're not the only one involved in the accident, be sure to exchange information with the other drivers, if possible. Swap names, addresses, phone numbers, driver's license and tag numbers, and insurance information. Be sure to also get full descriptions of all vehicles, and names and addresses of any witnesses if there were any.
Delaware recently passed Senate Bill #293 in an effort to increase the responsibility of those involved in collisions.
The law states that “if, after reasonably ascertaining that there are no injuries or deaths, and if the damaged vehicle is obstructing traffic, the driver of the vehicle must make every reasonable effort to move the vehicle or have it moved so as not to obstruct the regular flow of traffic more than necessary."
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- New Study: Voice Texting and Traditional Texting Equally Distracting
- Bicycling While Boozing
- Federal Agency Stirring Around the Idea of Lowering BAC Limit to .05 Percent
- Pot Runs to Legalized Marijuana States Putting Cops on High Alert
- Behind the scenes: Iron Man & rental car insurance
- 5 Reasons to Welcome Big Brother Into Your Car
Instant Driving Record
Check for tickets, violations, and confirm your drivers license status with a instant self-check driving record.
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.