Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Replacing a Lost Registration in Connecticut

    Replacing Your Connecticut Vehicle Registration

    Losing your Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) vehicle registration card can be a real hassle if you're pulled over by a law enforcement office and cannot prove current registration and ownership of your vehicle. Fortunately the Connecticut DMV makes it easy to replace a lost registration in person or by mail.

    If your license plate is lost, stolen, or damaged to the point of illegibility, you also risk getting pulled over and facing fines.

    On this page you'll find information about replacing your Connecticut vehicle registration and license plates.

    Replace Your CT Vehicle Registration

    If your registration documents are lost, stolen, or damaged, you can apply for a duplicate vehicle registration in person at any full-service CT DMV office.

    If your vehicle registration documents have been stolen, you may need to contact your local law enforcement agency to file a police report.

    NOTE: At this time, the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) does not offer online services for obtaining a duplicate registration.

    Replacing Your Vehicle Registration in Person

    To apply for a replacement registration in person, you'll need to visit your local Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles office and:

    • Fill out a Request for a Duplicate Motor Vehicle Registration (Form B-341) before you go. On the form, you'll need to provide:
      • Your license plate number.
      • The names on the vehicle's registration.
      • The address on your registration.
      • Your mailing address, if it's different.
      • Your signature.
    • Pay the $20 vehicle registration replacement fee.

    If you have any questions, you can contact the Connecticut DMV.

    Replace Your Registration By Mail

    You can also request a duplicate vehicle registration by mail. Just send a written duplicate request by completing a Request for a Duplicate Motor Vehicle Registration (Form B-341) and paying the $20 duplicate registration fee to the Connecticut DMV.

    Make sure to include your name and address, license plate number, and signature in the letter.

    Payment must be made by a check or money order made out to the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles. Send the duplicate registration request and payment to:

    Department of Motor Vehicles
    Customized Services Division - Duplicate Registrations
    60 State St.
    Wethersfield, CT 06161

    Replacing Lost, Stolen, or Damaged CT License Tags

    If your Connecticut license plate is lost―or worse, stolen―you need to request a replacement in person at your local CT Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office.

    To request replacement plates, you'll need to fill out a Marker Plate Notice (Form E-159) and a Registration Affidavit (Form B-301) to obtain new tags.

    Take the forms to your local full-service Connecticut DMV office, where new license plates will be issued. Make sure to bring along your vehicle registration and Connecticut insurance card.

    NOTE: If your license plates were stolen or vandalized, you should file a police report with your local law enforcement agency. When you apply for replacement plates, you'll need to bring the police report and the remains of the damaged plates, if applicable.

    Replacement requests accompanied by a police report will cost $5. If you don't have a police report, replacement requests will cost $25.

    Lost or stolen vanity plates are replaced with standard "off-the-shelf" plates. If you wish, you can reapply for your old plate numbers or name after 10 months.

    Related Content

    Provide Feedback

    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.

Looking for Replacing a Lost Registration in Another State?