Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Replacing a Lost Title in Connecticut

    Compare Car Insurance Quotes in 3 Steps

    1. Enter Your Zip:

    CT Replacing a Lost Title

    If you lose the title to your vehicle, you can order a duplicate through the Connecticut DMV.

    Duplicate titles are only granted to owners on record, so if a lien holder―such as a bank or credit union―was listed on the original title, you also need to obtain a lien release from the lender.

    The first step is to complete a Request for Duplicate Certificate of Title Application, which will arrive in the mail. DMV staff will enter the title number on the application.

    The application needs to be filled out, signed, and notarized.

    The DMV will need the application, lien lease (if required), and a $25 fee to issue you a duplicate title.

    If your title is numbered 20,000,000 or higher, you can obtain a duplicate at any full-service DMV or satellite office. Identification is required to pick up the title.

    If the title's number is below 20,000,000, you need to mail the title application and fee to the following address:

    • Department of Motor Vehicles
    • Title Division
    • 60 State St.
    • Wethersfield, CT 06161

    You should receive your new title in about 15 working days. It is mailed to the titled owner or lienholder.

    True or False

    Doctors don’t work with the same urgency to save your life if they know you’re an organ donor.

    True False


    Every doctor's first priority is to save your life regardless of your organ donation status.

    More Organ Donor Myths ▸ Become an Organ Donor ▸