Replacing a Lost License in Connecticut
Replacing a Connecticut Driver's License
If you've lost or damaged your Connecticut driver's license―or worse, it's been stolen―you will need to obtain a replacement license from the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles.
NOTE: If you are in need of a replacement commercial driver's license (CDL), please read our page about Replacing a Lost CDL.
Apply for a Duplicate Driver's License in CT
The Connecticut DMV does not yet offer driver's license replacements online and only offers duplicates by mail under special circumstances (see “Replace a CT License while Out of State" below). If you need to replace a lost, damaged, or stolen driver's license, you'll need to apply in person at your local Connecticut DMV office and:
- Complete an Application for Duplicate of Current Driver's License or Permit (Form 1-B).
- Provide 1 document proving your identity, if the CT DMV has your photo on file, or 2 documents if they do not.
- Pay the $30 duplicate license fee.
Although you should notify police if your CT driver's license is stolen, you are not required to file a police complaint to obtain a replacement.
NOTE: You only need to replace a damaged driver's license if your information and photo are not readable.
Replace a CT License while Out of State
If you are temporarily outside of Connecticut or out of the country when your driver's license is lost, stolen, or damaged, you can obtain a duplicate license by mail as long as you are:
- An active-duty military member. See our Drivers in the Military in Connecticut page for more information.
- A prison inmate.
- Out of state or country temporarily only.
- A licensed driver with health issues who cannot appear in person.
NOTE: Follow the same steps below to replace a Connecticut motorcycle license.
To get a replacement Connecticut driver's license by mail:
- Complete the Request for a Connecticut Driver's License/Identification Card by Mail (Form B-350).
- If you are making the request due to a medical condition, complete the Request to Renew or Obtain a Duplicate Driver's License/Identification Card by Mail Due to Medical Conditions (Form CI-1).
- Sign the form, attach a check for $30, include a self-addressed stamped envelope, and send it all to:
Attention: Centralized Issuance Unit
60 State St.
Wethersfield, CT 06109
You also can e-mail or fax your form to the CT DMV if you need to pay by credit card:
- E-mail: DMV.CIU@ct.gov.
- Fax: (860) 263-5591.
Wait 1 business day, then call the Centralized Issuance Unit at (860) 263-5401 during its regular business hours, 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Monday to Friday, to provide your credit card information.
The Connecticut DMV will process your application and send your duplicate driver's license by mail.
Connecticut Boat License Replacements
If you misplaced your Safe Boating Certificate (SBC) in Connecticut, you'll need to obtain a replacement copy. These certificates are available for printing online, and you will not be responsible for any fees. You'll need to:
- Visit the Online Sportsman Licensing System.
- Log into your account. Be prepared to enter your date of birth and conservation ID number.
- Select the link that says, "Click here to reprint your license."
For more details about boats in Connecticut, please read our page about Boat Registration and Licenses.