Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Replacing a Lost License in Connecticut

    Compare Car Insurance Quotes in 3 Steps

    1. Enter Your Zip:

    If you've lost or damaged your Connecticut driver's license―or worse, it's been stolen―you will need to obtain a replacement license from the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles. Driving without a valid driver's license in your possession can result in a citation, a fine, or other, stiffer penalties.

    How to Replace Your License

    Unlike many other states, Connecticut does not yet offer license replacements online and only offers duplicates by mail under special circumstances (see below). Generally speaking, if you need to replace a lost, damaged, or stolen driver's license, you must visit a Connecticut DMV office and:

    Although you should notify police if your license is stolen, you are not required to file a police complaint to obtain a replacement. You only need to replace a damaged license if the operator's information and photo are not readable.

    Where to Go

    You can have your Connecticut driver's license replaced at any full-service Connecticut DMV office, satellite office, or photo ID center. You can also get a duplicate license from a AAA office for an additional $3 convenience fee.

    How to Order by Mail

    If you are temporarily out of the state or out of the country when your license is lost, stolen, or damaged, you can obtain a duplicate as long as the DMV has your photo on file. Keep in mind, if you have not renewed or obtained a new Connecticut license since 1994, it's likely the DMV does not have one of you. Because state law requires each license to display a photo, the DMV will not make an exception while you are outside state lines. Without a photo, you will not be allowed to replace or renew your license by mail.

    Duplicate licenses can also be requested by mail by military personnel, prison inmates, and license holders who have health issues that prevent them from appearing in person.

    To get a replacement, complete the Request for a Connecticut Driver’s License/Identification Card by Mail (Form B-350). If you are making the request due to a medical condition, complete the Request to Renew or Obtain a Duplicate Driver’s License/Identification Card by Mail Due to a Temporary Medication Condition (Form CI-1).

    Sign the form, attach a check for $30, include a self-addressed stamped envelope, and send it all to:

    • Department of Motor Vehicles
    • Attention: Centralized Issuance Unit
    • 60 State St.
    • Wethersfield, CT 06109

    You also can e-mail or fax your form to the DMV in order to pay by credit card. Send the form via e-mail or fax:

    Wait one business day, then call the Centralized Processing Unit at (860) 263-5401 during its regular business hours, 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Monday to Friday, to provide your credit card information.

    The DMV will process your application and send your duplicate license by mail.

    True or False

    Doctors don’t work with the same urgency to save your life if they know you’re an organ donor.

    True False


    Every doctors first priority is to save your life regardless of your organ donation status.

    More about Organ Donation ▸ Become an Organ Donor ▸