Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • New to Connecticut

    CT New to &Your-State&

    If you've recently moved to Connecticut, you won't be disappointed by the state's easy proximity to work, play and cultural interests, let alone the fact that it's only a short jaunt to New York and Boston. But there's some business, such as registering your vehicle and updating your driver's license, to take care of first. Not to worry. We're here to help. Check out the information below to get a solid jump on becoming a legal resident driver in the great state of Connecticut.

    Where do I get my license and registration?

    You will need to visit a Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles office to apply for a Connecticut license and registration. You cannot conduct any Connecticut DMV business over the Internet, although you can download many required forms, which may then be completed at home before you get to the DMV.

    How long do I have to convert my license?

    You have 30 days to convert an out-of-state license or registration once you move to Connecticut. Your out-of-state license and registration must be valid, or expired fewer than 2 years. You will have to take a vision exam, but not a written or road test.

    Do I need to have insurance to register a vehicle?

    Yes. All 50 states have minimum insurance requirements. This means you will need to visit a licensed insurance agent or insurance company before you go to the DMV, because they will want to see valid proof of insurance before registering your vehicle.

    How much will it cost?

    The fees will vary according to the type of license and registration you require, but you should expect to pay at least $66 for a license and $75 for a registration.

    Do they accept credit cards?

    The DMV only accepts Mastercard and Visa at license bus or license center locations, which cannot accept cash. Most full-service branches, AAA offices, and satellite offices will not accept credit cards―only cash, bank checks, money orders, and personal checks.

    Do I need to register my boat or watercraft?

    Yes, you will need to register your boat or personal watercraft under the same rules as any motor vehicle. Registrations can be processed at any DMV office. All boats with motors, and any boats over a certain length, must be registered.

    Does the DMV handle traffic tickets?

    No. Receive a traffic ticket for a moving violation in Connecticut and you are placed in the hands of the court system. Basically, you have about three weeks to decide if you're going to simply pay the fine and deal with having the violation/infraction on your record or request a hearing in front of a judge. You need to meet the deadline for choosing one or the other, or face serious criminal penalties.

    How do I get a handicapped parking permit?

    Disabled drivers who wish to obtain a Connecticut handicapped plate or placard must apply to the DMV. Be prepared to have a doctor licensed in Connecticut certify that you meet specific physical requirements to be considered handicapped. Both temporary and permanent placards can be issued.

    How do I get a state ID?

    Connecticut issues state IDs to any resident who does not hold a driver's license or whose license has been suspended or revoked. These IDs are official forms of identification that can be used as proof of age, address, residency, or signature.
    To millions of New Yorkers and others who travel between the New England states and the rest of the country, Connecticut may seem like one big highway. But if you just drive through, without stopping to smell the clam chowder, you're missing out.

    Connecticut is a fascinating study in contrasts. It's traditional and contemporary, urban and rural, rich and poor, (and newly rich and poor at the famous Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun casinos).

    Connecticut has miles and miles of scenic coastline with relatively warm water compared to the rest of the New England states. But it also has urban centers like Hartford and New Haven, home of Yale University.

    With the departure of the Hartford Whalers nearly a decade ago, the state has no pro sports franchises, but U Conn's basketball teams―both the men's and women's―are perennial national powers.