Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Drivers with Disabilities in Connecticut

    Drivers with disabilities who are approved by the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles for disabled status are eligible for several programs.

    Permanent Disability Parking Permit

    This is a portable, transferable permit that allows any vehicle displaying it to take advantage of privileges offered to disabled drivers, including legal use of handicapped parking spaces. The recipient may use the permit in any vehicle that he or she rides in or drives.

    You must complete a Special Permit Application and Impairment Certificate (Form B-225) to receive a disabled parking permit. The transporting agency, the applicant, or the applicant's parent or guardian may fill out the form. A medical doctor will also need to verify on the form that the applicant meets the qualifications for a permanent disability parking permit.

    There is no fee for disability parking permits.

    Submit your application:

    • By mail to:
      • Department of Motor Vehicles
      • Handicapped Permit Unit
      • 60 State Street
      • Wethersfield, CT 06161
    • By fax to (860) 263-5556
    • By email to

    Disability Plates

    The DMV grants these special registration plates to eligible vehicle owners who meet disabled qualifications. The Connecticut plates are for passenger vehicles, commercial vehicles, and motorcycles. The vehicle must be registered in the name of the person with the disability. Vehicles displaying disability plates are allowed full disability privileges, including legal use of handicapped parking spaces.

    To obtain disability plates, fill out a Special Permit Application and Impairment Certificate (Form B-225). Take the completed form to any full-service DMV field office. You also will need to present documents and pay the standard fees for registering a Connecticut vehicle.

    You do not need to fill out a parking permit application to renew a CT disability license plate, and you can handle the registration renewal by mail.

    The DMV will issue disability plates for leased vehicles, as long as the rental contract is in the name of the driver with the disability.

    Temporary Disability Parking Permit

    Any Connecticut resident whose ability to walk is seriously, but temporarily, impaired, can apply for a temporary disability parking permit.

    The application process for a temporary disability parking permit is similar to the process for a permanent permit. You must fill out an application and present written verification from a physician that you are eligible for the program. Temporary permits cost $5.

    Submit you application in person at your local CT DMV office or by mail to:

      • Department of Motor Vehicles
      • Handicapped Permit Unit
      • 60 State Street
      • Wethersfield, CT 06161

      Handicapped Training Services

      The Department of Social Services' (DSS) Bureau of Rehabilitation Services offer disabled drivers training and information on using specialized equipment in their vehicles.

      Instructors first evaluate your specialized needs for driving a vehicle. They also will provide you with a list of suppliers that equip vehicles with adaptive devices. Drivers can inquire about applying for government assistance to offset costs for adaptive equipment.

      Instructors also give driving lessons in state-owned passenger cars with adaptive equipment. Modifications include steering devices and hand-operated headlight dimmers, gas, and brakes. The lessons can include a road test to obtain a valid CT driver's license, if you do not have one. The testing fee is $40.

      To find out if you qualify for the program, contact the Bureau of Rehabilitation Services at (800) 537-2549.

    Qualifying for a Disability Permit or Plate

    For you to become qualified as a disabled driver, a licensed physician or a member of the Bureau of Rehabilitation Services needs to certify that you have one or more of the following conditions affecting mobility on a permanent basis:

    • Respiratory ailment that requires the use of portable oxygen
    • Legal blindness (can be certified by an optometrist)
    • Limited or no use of one or both legs
    • Inability to walk 200 feet without stopping
    • A neuromuscular function that severely limits mobility
    • A Class III or IV cardiac condition (under American Heart Association standards)
    • Severe limitations on your ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition
    • Lung disease severely affecting ability to breathe

    How to Apply for Disabled Driver Status

    To obtain a special disabled parking permit, the disabled driver, or the driver's parent or guardian, needs to submit a Special Permit Application and Impairment Certificate Form (Form B-225). The application has two parts. The applicant (or a parent or guardian) completes the first part (Part A). The second part (Part B) must be completed and signed by a licensed physician (or an optometrist, in the case of blindness).

    If you've moved from another state where you previously had disabled driver status, you will still need to apply for disabled status in Connecticut. You will need to complete both Part A and Part B of the special permit application.

    Traveling Out of State

    Connecticut recognizes the parking permits and license plates of disabled drivers from out of state.

    Most other states also honor the disabled parking permits and license plates of disabled CT drivers. Check with that state's police, its DMV, or our Drivers with Disabilities section for the rule information about the state you plan to visit.

    The CT DMV does not grant temporary parking permits to visitors from out of state. It issues disabled permits and plates only to state residents.

    Rules for Disabled Parking Plates and Permits

    • You may use plates and permits for handicapped parking only when the person with the disability is riding in or driving the vehicle.
    • Parents or guardians can receive parking permits in the name of a disabled child who qualifies.
    • Parking permits should hang from the rear-view mirrors of parked vehicles.
    • People who hold parking permits or disability plates are subject to all parking rules and fines.
    • Report lost or stolen permits and plates to the DMV by calling (860) 263-5700. You also will need to fill out a new Special Permit Application and Impairment Certificate (Form B-225) to obtain a replacement, but you do not need to be recertified by a physician. Replacements are free.
    Other Topics in This Section