Custom Built Car Registration in ConnecticutCompare Car Insurance Quotes in 3 Steps
1. Enter Your Zip:
Building your own hot rod or chopper? Remember, if you want to ever drive your custom-built vehicle, you're going to need to register it. Connecticut allows registration of custom-built/composite vehicles, but the vehicle must first pass a special inspection process.
If you've used parts from other vehicles to build your own, you need to make sure you have title certificates for each vehicle used for component parts, as well as receipts for all parts used. If any parts are from used vehicles, you need to include VIN numbers on each receipt.
To get a registration, you're going to have to submit your vehicle to a detailed inspection process, during which time you are required to show all receipts and titles. No receipts means no inspection and no registration.
When you're ready for the vehicle to be registered and inspected, you need to do the following:
- Use the Department of Motor Vehicles telephone center to make an appointment for a composite vehicle inspection. Composite inspections are done at the Wethersfield office only by appointment.
- Transfer the vehicle by flat-bed truck or trailer to the inspection station.
- You cannot drive or tow the vehicle. None of its wheels can touch the ground until it passes inspection and you are granted a registration.
- Complete an application for composite inspection (Form R-95) and bring it to the DMV inspection station, along with 2 photos of the vehicle and all supporting documents―including titles and receipts for all major parts.
- The inspection fee is $88.
- The VIN costs another $50.
- If your vehicle passes inspection, the DMV inspector will assign a VIN to your vehicle, which will allow you to begin the standard process of applying for a registration and title. If you fail, you can ask for a re-inspection without going through the appointment process.
NOTE: Composite vehicles are exempt from emissions tests.Other Topics in This Section
Organ Donation Survey
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks
Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?
Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.Update Your Organ
Donor Information ▸