- Location: Connecticut
Appointments in ConnecticutPage Overview
The Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) now offers an online registration system for the Learner's Permit Knowledge Test. All other appointments must be made in person or by phone.
Tired of waiting in line at the DMV office? Connecticut has updated their system to help teen drivers and their parents avoid long waits. You can schedule your appointment for taking the learner's permit knowledge test online.
When you're ready to to take your road test, you'll need to call the telephone center to schedule your appointment:
- Within Hartford area or outside of Connecticut, (860) 263-5700
- Elsewhere in Connecticut, (800) 842-8222
The call center operators are available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Rescheduling a Driver's Test Appointment
If you need to cancel or reschedule your driver’s license test appointment, you can either call or visit your local DMV office or call the DMV Phone Center (numbers above) prior to your scheduled test date. You’ll need your current appointment date and time to reschedule. If you do not reschedule, you’ll lose the prepaid fee.
Not all tasks require an in-person visit to the CT DMV. Find out what you can take care of from your own computer by accessing our Online Services page.
If you must pay a visit to your local DMV office, go during low-traffic times. The following suggestions could save you from standing in line.
Shortest Wait Time
- Before the lunch hour (usually noon)
- During the middle of the week (Tuesday through Thursday)
- During the middle of the month
Longest Wait Times
- During the lunch hour (starting at noon)
- On the first and last day of the week that the office is open (Monday and Friday for most)
- During the first or last week of the month
- On the day before or just following a holiday