DMV Point System in Colorado
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol: 12 points
- Driving while impaired by alcohol: 8 points
- Leaving an accident scene: 12 points
- Speed contests: 12 points
- Evading an officer: 12 points
- Reckless driving: 8 points
- Careless driving: 4 points
- Failure to yield right-of-way: 3 points
- Speeding 5 to 9 MPH over limit: 1 point
- Speeding 10 to 19 MPH over limit: 4 points
- Speeding: 20 to 39 MPH over limit: 6 points
- Speeding: 40 MPH or over limit: 12 points
- Failure to show proof of insurance: 4 points
- Improper passing: 4 points
- Complete list of violations and points
Speeding tickets can affect your insurance rates. In most cases, your insurance will shoot up to some degree even for a minor infraction―that is, if you have insurance. And you should, considering it is against the law in Colorado to operate a motor vehicle without some form of minimum liability. Not carrying proof of insurance will only exacerbate your point troubles.
If you accumulate too many points on your motor vehicle record during a fixed period of time, you will have your license suspended. You are in jeopardy of losing your license if you accrue points as follows:
- Adults (over 21 years old):
- 12 points in 12 months.
- 18 points in 24 months.
- Minor drivers (ages 18 thru 20 years old)
- 9 points in 12 months.
- 12 points in 24 months.
- 14 points or more between the ages of 18 and 21 years old.
- Minor drivers (under 18 years old)
- 6 points in 12 months.
- 7 points prior to turning 18 years old.
When you are issued a ticket for an offense that carries points and you end up paying the citation, plea bargaining, or pleading guilty, you are in a sense convicted of the act. The court then sends the conviction to the Division of Motor Vehicles, which tacks on the points to your driving record. It can take only a couple of tickets to have your license revoked, and even if you do not amass the number required to put your license in danger, points still sit on your record for 7 years.
Find more information about suspended licenses on our site.
Whenever you need or want to check the status of your driver’s license, you can order a driving record report.